Free iLife & iWork Apps for Family and Friends?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Berti10, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Berti10 macrumors regular

Berti10

Hi!
    I'm excited to get my new Retina iPad mini and I'm wondering, if I would allow everyone in my Family to set this up, as their new device, that everyone would get the iLife and iWork Suits for free? :confused: Is this allowed?

Anyone already tried this?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its tied to your apple id, so there is no sharing of applications with friends and family.

3. hafr macrumors 68030

It won't work. The apps are free for the first person who sets up the new device, not for the person who sets it up as a new device. Do you see the difference?

What you can do, on the other hand, is either sync the apps over to their devices using iTunes or log on to your Apple ID on their devices and download the apps for them, then log out.

4. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

It pays to be a little careful with which Apple ID you use to install the free apps. When I first setup my new rMBP, I signed in with my iCloud account, and it was this account that was used to make the free 'purchase'. The problem is that I use a different Apple ID for iTunes and the App Store. What this means is that I now need to switch accounts in the App Store to update the free apps. Not a big deal, but with strong passwords that I can't type from memory, the accumulated inconvenience over the life of this machine will be significant.

Apple support can't help in trying to switch or combine accounts.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It depends how you have things setup. If say you and your son both have iPads and you both share the same AppleID to purchase apps in the App Store, then after claim your free iLife/iWorks apps on your new iPad they will show up as free downloads in the App Store on junior's iPad and can be installed on his iPad.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

I believe the limitation is 7 devices under the same ID. I could be wrong.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Looks like it is ten devices.