Free international texts?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Amatatomba, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Amatatomba macrumors newbie

I have a friend who lives in Canada and I want to be able to text him, but I can't afford $.25/text (I have an iPhone btw). Are there any apps that would let me send him texts for free? I thought WhatsApp would work, but didn't read that both people need to be using it in order for it to work before I bought it.

If there aren't any apps, does anyone know of any other solutions?

2. seattle29 macrumors member

You could download the Skype app - texts to Canadian mobiles cost 11 cents from Skype. Not free but still cheaper than what you're currently paying.

3. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i would guess that most of the texting apps allow this. i personally use textplus.

4. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

What mobile device does your friend have?

5. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

yes, i forgot to add that you will both need the same app. textplus works for iphone and droid.

6. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

HeyWire doesn't require both parties to have the app. With HeyWire, you can send free texts to any cell phone worldwide.

If you use WiFi, you can use it on an iPod touch or avoid hits to the data plan on an iPhone.

7. Amatatomba thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

I think he just has an LG, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a smartphone. HeyWire seems like he'd have to use a PC or iPod Touch or an iPhone in order for us to text for free.

I might look into Skype though, thanks.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Google Voice is also an option.

9. mstrze macrumors 68000

Use AIM or other messaging Apps and you can send an IM to a phone number.

On AIM, the username is simply '+' country code (or 1 in this case) and then the phone number.

So (444) 555-1212 would be entered as:

+14445551212

Receiver pays for any text charges but your info is purely data so it's essentially 'free'. Receiver can reply back to you too, so it's a transparent set up.

Only issue is if you are not online on AIM and he or she sends a 'text' to you, you won't get it until you log on later.