Free IPad 3rd Gen after mixup!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleMomma, Apr 23, 2012.

1. AppleMomma macrumors newbie

I preordered my first IPad in March to be delivered on release date. It was to be engraved (dumb decision in hindsight). There was an issue with the device not being shipped in time for the March 16 delivery so Apple offered to send a device on time that was not engraved which I accepted.
    When I returned the iPad I also returned a case I purchased and actually was able to return the engraved device and keep the device which is not engraved. I noticed 3 weeks ago that not only was my case refunded but so was the iPad?!?! I assumed this mistake would be corrected in a few days but so far i have nit been charged, now I'm not complaining as I type on my FREE iPad but I'm just wondering if this happened to anyone else. I assume Apple will catch the mistake soon and if not I will contact them to pay for the iPad, maybe I'm crazy but I just believe Karma is a B.

Did anyone else have this experience? If so what was the outcome? Thanks in advance.

2. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

The way these screens are I wouldn't even take a free one :p

3. AppleMomma thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm reading a lot of unhappy posts, mine is perfect, no issues. I'm not serious about it, just happy my 2 year old now uses the iPad so I can have my iPhone back :D

4. Macgeeza macrumors regular

I believe that apple are changing the manufacturing process with the screen or are holding back on production of the new iPad until Samsung sort out the problems with the screen. I have been trying to reserve one for in store pickup everyday after 9pm and every store says 'not available for reservation'.

Perhaps they have now sorted out the issues with the screen and the next build will be ok?.

5. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I think they're just selling a lot of iPads.

6. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Interesting if they never charge you again. Keep us posted lol

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I think you're only asking this to gauge whether you can keep the iPad for free. You aren't really going to pay for it if you don't have to, are you? I don't blame you, a lot of us would do the same.

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

9. AppleMomma thread starter macrumors newbie

No I actually will pay for it even if they don't charge me, I will however wait until next month when it is more convenient for me :p

Personal Integrity means doing the right thing even if no one is looking. It might seem ridiculous to some but I would feel guilty not paying for it.

10. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

You are getting ripped off :p

11. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

:) thank you for that.

good to see some people on here have honor.

12. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I applaud your honesty as I would do the same. Guess we both belong to the "endangered species" club.

13. ZipZap macrumors 601

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see a posted receipt or proof of payment.

14. riciad macrumors 6502

I believe it because I know I'd do the same and have done it before, not with Apple but with Amazon when they tried to refund me twice for a failed delivery.

15. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I just wanted to point out that I wasn't accusing you of anything unethical, just making a joke about how these threads seem to go around here. :)

I have personally seen the reward of doing the right thing.

I witnessed a hit and run in my parking garage. I took down the plate number and left a note with my phone number on the damaged car. The owner was able to get in touch with me and get all of the info for the other driver.

Two months later my girlfriend accidentally left a very (sentimentally) valuable necklace out by the pool. I put up signs all over the complex. The driver of the damaged car called and had found it. She refused to take any reward.

Sorry for the high jack.

Thanks for doing the right thing, even though we would all love a free iPad. :D

16. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

I bought mine with my debit card on line to pick up in store for launch. Day before launch I noticed the charge of 756.00 for my iPad was gone and the money back into my account. Almost a week went by before apple recharged me..

But I felt very uncomfortable and was about to go to my apple store to tell them and the very next day the charge went through again

17. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

My thoughts for what they're worth:

Apple relies on serial numbers when undertaking returns. So my guess would be that they received back your original iPad (according to the serial number) and guessed it was just a basic return, so refunded you accordingly. Whether alarm bells will ring later on is another matter. I'd keep it but also set aside the money and be prepared to pay on demand if they ask.

That said, I've noticed Apple's a very trusting company. When I ordered my iMac about five years ago it arrived with a mark on the screen*. I phoned them and then immediately dispatched a replacement. The next day I had two iMacs only having paid for one!

Most companies would demand return of the first before dispatching the second.

I was tempted to see how long I'd be able to keep it for before (or if) Apple chased me up. I kept it for a week without anybody getting in touch. However, I too am very honest and organised for it to be shipped back to them.

* It transpired the mark was just a bit of hand grease that rubbed off with a good cloth. It almost certainly wasn't my hand grease but that of the person who packed it.

18. AppleMomma thread starter macrumors newbie

19. CandyNJ66 macrumors regular

I got a $500 credit with Amazon a few years ago for something I asked for a RMA # but then sold on Craigslist. I got the credit next time I went to order. I was like :eek:

20. ZipZap macrumors 601

21. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

22. AppleMomma thread starter macrumors newbie

23. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN