Free iPhone 4 case that does NOT block the flash?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Sounds Good, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I'm about to buy two new iPhone 4s (one for me, one for my wife) which means I'll be ordering two free cases from Apple.

Which free case do you guys recommend that does NOT block the camera or flash, etc?

ALSO: are there any cases that are worth paying for that are BETTER than any of the free cases offered by Apple?

Thanks! :)

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I got the speck pixel hd from the program and haven't had issues with the flash.

Marc

3. psywzrd macrumors 68030

+1 on the pixelskin hd. Best case in the case program.

4. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

5. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Wow, thanks guys!

Awesome feedback... glad I asked. :)

6. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Quick question after checking out a couple of reviews:

I usually wear cargo shorts, and I almost always keep my iPhone in my large cargo shorts pocket. I currently don't use any case at all, so it's very easy to quickly slip it into & out of my pocket, even while driving.

How will the rubber of the Speck PixelSkin HD case affect this? Will it still slip easily in & out of my pocket, or not so much?

Based on this fact (which I should have pointed out earlier -- sorry) do you still recommend this case, or would another one be better suited for me?

Thanks again!

7. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

The PixelSkin HD is made of TPU, its a material that has flex like Silicone but once its on has the rigidity of plastic. It doesn't grip to anything. I'm using it right now and it slips in and out of my jeans easily. hope it helps!

8. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

Im pretty sure all of the cases are made to fit with the flash, especially Apple's bumper which doesn't come close to it.

9. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, that helps. Thanks!

10. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

Also the cases will take 3-4 weeks to come, so i'd recommend going to wal-mart and getting the NGP. Its another PixelSkin type case, but its much more rigid and comes with a screen shield. Its $20 too, so really good deal

Video Review Here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH5wNgLTtYQ

11. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, but I'd hate to spend $40 for no reason (I'm getting 2 iPhones) since we'll only need one case per phone.

EDIT: (I also hate that we can't get the free case with the phone!)

12. ihonda macrumors 68000

you are very wrong about the incase snap, i have both clear and smoke, flash issues on both.

13. daemonite macrumors member

I dont have flash issues on the incase snap, do you have the new one with the black flash ring and big cut out?

14. threezero macrumors 6502

Would like to correct by saying the griffin reveal ETCH is in fact very very hard to scratch. The original griffin reveal was the one that was easy to scratch with the clear back. Initially I didn't quite like the reveal etch because I'm worry the bottom piece would become baggy over time as I change case alot. As it turn out there is no such problem. Now it's my primary go to case for the best in slim protection that actually looks good.

Pixlskin while also a good all around case is just too ugly for day to day use IMO. But looks is subjective

15. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I chose the incase snap case in "smoke" feels great, the matte finish.
    Yes though it has a cut out for the flash so it doesn't effect the picture at all.

16. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

17. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

18. ihonda macrumors 68000

both of my incase have the black ring, try something with super low lighting i get glares if im not right up on the object in question

19. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Really? That's too bad -- I'm kinda likin' the Incase Snap in Smoke. I'm torn between it and the Speck PixelSkin HD for the free case -- but I also kinda like the Incipio NGP that scarboy suggested for $20.

Maybe I'll buy the Incipio NGP and get the Incase Snap for free?? Not sure yet...

20. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

I have the Snap, No Flash Issues here. Its not bad, but it really offers no real protection, its more for style. When I said the Reveal Etch Scratches, I meant the inside area where your phone sits, there's no padding on the plastic inside either. The PixelSkin is the best if you want good all around protection, but It might be a good idea to get the Snap and buy the NGP. That way you can switch between something more protective and something thats nice and form fitting

21. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

That's pretty much what I was thinking too.

I think I'll get the Snap either way, so my only decision now is which one to get for extra protection: Speck PixelSkin HD or Incipio NGP. Although they both look similar, so it's a tough call.

22. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

NGP is $20 with a screen protector. PixelSkin is $30 case only. If you're going to purchase it, I'd go for NGP. It really is protective. I dropped my phone in the NGP onto Asphalt on its corner. No damage on the case or the phone

23. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

24. silleestring macrumors newbie

If you think the Incase Snap Smoke doesn't have flash issues, go to a dark room and stay a good distance from anything the flash would bounce off, then try it with the case off. When I tested it that way, there's a big difference.

25. xraytech macrumors 68020

I think you misunderstood the OP question.

He wanted cases that do not interfere with the flash.