Free iPhone 5 Coming My Way...Suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Keukasmallie, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Keukasmallie macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

I'm soon to be the recipient of a free iPhone 5. The current owner will erase all personal data and settings. Once I actually have the device, what are my next steps?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

3. Kendo macrumors 68000

Don't upgrade to iOS9 if it is still on 8.4.1. iPhones generally run smoothest if you don't go past two iOS updates. iPhone 5 released with iOS 6.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Should we assume this is your first iPhone? What were you using before? Anything?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sell it and get a newer model :)

6. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Read around on the iOS9 forum and you will find many iPhone 5 users, myself included, that are happily running iOS9 on their phones.

7. Evad3 macrumors member

Evad3

Catch the iPhone fever and watch your bank account take a turn for the worse

8. Kendo macrumors 68000

Sorry didn't mean to sound so negative. I have a backup iPhone 5 (currently use a 6) and I'm 50/50 on whether to upgrade or not. Just saying if the iPhone 5 comes with iOS 8, it is at least great to have an option of upgrading immediately or waiting.

9. bransoj macrumors 6502a

There are actually quite a few folk saying its better on 9 than it was on various iterations of 8.

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

In my experience, if you're going to leave a 5 on any old version of iOS it should be iOS 7. Mine ran really well on 7.1.2. iOS 8 was meh, and iOS 9 seems to be about the same so far.

11. Keukasmallie thread starter macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

Yes, first iPhone, or smartphone in general. I'm currently using a Samsung flip phone of unknown vintage.

The current owner will erase settings and personal data. My understanding is that the iPhone then becomes inoperable until run through the setup process: Do I need current owner's password/phone name, etc. in order to do the set up? Should I set it up as far as I can go before I go to the carrier of my choice to buy a plan, or should I just take it in w/o beginning the setup process?

12. CodeSpyder macrumors 6502a

CodeSpyder

Have it unlocked and then resell it. :)

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You shouldn't need any of this so long as the phone isn't iCloud locked if the owner is giving it to you, there should be no reason they leave any locks in place.

As far as setup, the system pretty well walks you through that all. It's a matter of setting up an Apple ID and going through the prompts.

Enjoy the phone :)

14. troubleonline macrumors 65816

troubleonline

So true!