Free iPhone Developer's Account

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by StephenieGiles, Sep 14, 2011.

1. StephenieGiles macrumors newbie

My technical resource (iOS developer) is working on a prototype (An app that call information from a compact database within a device). He needs a developer's account to get the things tested. Why is that so? Moreover, isn't there a website that offers such free accounts?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apple's playground, Apple's rules. I question the legitimacy of your "technical resource" if s/he doesn't already have a Developer account in the first place.

3. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

If he's at the stage where he requires testing on a hardware based platform, then the 99$ is worth it. Otherwise, the simulator should be enough to get started and write a lot of the code for the app.

If he doesn't want to pay (or you don't), there's always the jailbreaking option.

4. xStep macrumors 68000

Although it doesn't sound like the OPs app has such a limitation, it should be noted that the simulator does have limitations. In my case, the use of AVFoundation with the camera requires use of a device. A quick test last night suggests this is still true in Xcode 4 under Lion. :(

5. firewood macrumors 604

Stock iOS devices have built-in security that prevents the installation of any apps, except from Apple, the App store, or enrolled (paid) iOS developers. There is no free website with accounts for use with stock iOS devices, since Apple does not hand out the needed security certificates to people without their credit card on file. Certificates are limited to 100 total test devices.