Free Iphone?? :-/

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CiccioAtSea, Sep 18, 2016.

1. CiccioAtSea macrumors regular

CiccioAtSea

I preordered my iPhone and picked it up in store on launch day, credit card has not been charged yet.

What do you think? Is it normal?

Thanks

2. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

Well... if you ordered it online and picked it up in store are you positive your card was not charged immediately? Plus if you're on installments then of course your card would not have been charged more than $50 or $60

3. CiccioAtSea thread starter macrumors regular

CiccioAtSea

I just bought the phone at full price, my card was supposed to be charged as soon as I stepped outside the store and total to be paid is 829 €

Monday morning arrived, money are still on my account.

4. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

I'm not even going to lie to you, if it was me, I would just shrug it off. You did everything right. If the employee messed up or the CC company messed up, it isn't on you. you have nothing to feel guilty for. just take it lol

5. CiccioAtSea thread starter macrumors regular

CiccioAtSea

Moreover the end of the month is coming and I usually reach the limit of the plafond on this card as it is the one I normally use for small, daily expenses...

I also received my invoice by email and it states "this invoice has been paid with Visa/MasterCard" so apparently the transaction is closed for them

6. rarebeauty macrumors 6502

rarebeauty

Something similar happened to me a few years ago but at the AT&T store. It was when the Next plans first started. I paid the tax for a gold iPhone 5S and was expecting to be billed every month for the remainder. They never billed me. So I pretty much got a brand new 5S for $50 lol.

7. brianric macrumors regular

I walked out of the Apple Store last Friday with a free 7 Plus 128 GB Gold, a case, and a $50 gift card. The AUP was botched this year, spent over 3.5 hours between getting my 6S Plus removed from my iCloud account, getting Citizen One loan approved, trying repeatably for Verizon to activate the phone, then Apple couldn't print the receipt. At that point the manager said I had a free phone.

8. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

It will be charged eventually. When I pre-ordered my Apple Watch the amount showed up in my pending charges but then it showed again in my available funds. It wasn't until a few days after I had received my Apple Watch that my card was charged again and the money left my account.

9. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

I would hold off for a few days, possible delay in processing the transaction. Hopefully you get lucky and you don't get charged :)

10. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

no it isn't .. your card is being hacked from italy by the mafia... go complain to your bank, FBI, etc.

11. CiccioAtSea thread starter macrumors regular

CiccioAtSea

So Mafia would be hacking my bank account to give me a free phone?
    mmm... seems legit... :)

12. CiccioAtSea thread starter macrumors regular

CiccioAtSea

It never appeared in my movements, not even as a preauthorization; no updates yet

13. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

You will be charged eventually whether it's now or not.

14. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

Same thing happened to me when they started the next plans.. I waited months and even called about it and no one could figure it out so therefore free phone. Wonder how many phones they gave away?

15. rarebeauty macrumors 6502

rarebeauty

Now that I think about it, I called and asked about it as well they told me that they had no record of me ever starting a Next Plan and they were baffled. They probably gave away quite a few phones before catching the error lol.

16. CiccioAtSea thread starter macrumors regular

CiccioAtSea

Actually she scanned the barcode on the confirmation email that I showed her and that was it..

she did non even bother asking me my ID nor the Credit Card used for the reservation, but the email clearly stated that she was supposed to ask me both.

17. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

Yea. When I worked at AT&T apple caused the most problems for fraud on other people's accounts because they don't do everything they are supposed to in order to verify identities

18. myvoip07 macrumors member

You may or maybe lucky. Since you pre-order it and provided all the CC details along with address etc.. Apple still has all your information stored with them. They may charged you eventually or maybe not.

19. Mooseiah macrumors member

Says right on the contract they emailed me that you won't be billed the initial amount for 3 business days. It's been a single business day since you picked up the phone, and it's possible with the volume of new contracts it will take even longer. I picked mine up Saturday and have also not been billed, unsurprisingly.

Right now if I got to check on my upgrade eligibility I do get this message for my 7+:

"It looks like you've already paid off this iPhone. Good news. This iPhone is yours to keep. You can purchase a new iPhone with the iPhone Upgrade Program at any time, or go back to check the eligibility status of a different iPhone."

But my receipt reflects a loan number with Citizens One, and the $1175.52 I have financed with them. I would expect within 5-10 business days everything will settle in, we will be billed, and everything will reflect properly. I would not bet on getting a free phone.

20. CiccioAtSea thread starter macrumors regular

CiccioAtSea

This is ok, and I actually ordered my phone wishing to pay for it, on September.

But what if, for example, they remember about me let's say in December, when I use my card a lot and I need my plafond to be fully available? Or if it happens while I'm traveling? 869€ on a plafond of 2500/month in a quite good percentage..

Of course I have other cards, but I don't like to have this thing "pending" on my account.

I'll probably call apple if nothing happens in the next days... but I can't stop asking myself if I should just keep the phone..

Any honest advice would be appreciated,
    Thanks

21. weeman macrumors 6502

Is your phone activated yet? I bought my phone on Friday and didn't get charged til I activated it yesterday. Preordered online just like you too.

22. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

It's the Polish mafia

23. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

the charge will show up, the apple store works likes the itunes store in that regard, i think they save quite a few bucks on processing fees with the merchant by doing it in batches and not charge you right away and paying the fee for each individual transaction but im not really sure on that.

24. CiccioAtSea thread starter macrumors regular

CiccioAtSea

Writing from my iPhone 7 right now.. activated straight out of the shop on launch day :)

25. CiccioAtSea thread starter macrumors regular

CiccioAtSea

Maybe you're right, thanks.
    We'll see