Free ipod deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crzdcolombian, May 24, 2011.

1. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I thought they would be offering a free ipod around now and they haven't makes me kind of sad. I sold my macbook pro expecting to get a new one this week because macrumors said Apple would be offering free ipods and nothing :mad:

Anyone know when that hits?

2. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Japan's deal ended today. It could have been today, likely it will be tomorrow. This will be the same date as the beginning date of the sale last year. I'm looking forward to it as well.

3. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

4. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

Im looking to buy the iMac once the iPod deal hits too.

5. iLeW macrumors newbie

iLeW

I hope it's tomorrow. Really wanna upgrade to the macbook pro 13 i5. I've been waiting for this for 2 months lol

6. aluren macrumors 65816

When the iPod deal starts, does the educational discounts end? I'm considering the 15" high end and if getting the free iPod means losing the $200 ed discount, then it basically is a wash...

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

No, educational discounts are year-round and still count with the rebate :)

8. aluren macrumors 65816

Thanks. Hopefully it's an iPod touch this year again and not an iPod nano that was reported somewhere earlier. Seems like at this point it's good to wait a couple more days, maybe even after the WWDC announcement to know when Lion will be released and upgrade pricing. This will be my first MBP and I can't wait!!

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Your university might sell Lion at a discount. Mine was doing Snow Leopard for $15. Took about 2 weeks after retail release, but I wasn't in a hurry. I'll probably wait until 10.7.1 anyway to upgrade to allow for initial bug fixes.

10. AquaticOwl macrumors newbie

I work at an Apple Campus Store and we will almost undoubtedly sell Lion at a discount as we sell Snow Leopard in the same fashion right now.

As far as the iPod deal goes, Apple allows you a certain amount of rebatable purchase; it doesn't HAVE to be spent on a Touch. They only claim it's a free iPod Touch because the former rebates were the same price as a lower-model (8GB) iPod Touch. I had students purchase Nanos, Shuffles and Classics (and higher capacity Touches) with the rebate; the only catch was they could only receive compensation for $199. Money spent under that was lost; money spent over that was the difference they paid in the end.

11. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Sorry to hijack the thread but I didnt want to create a whole new thread with this quick question but do refurb iMacs and MacBook pros qualify for the free iPod? And/or educational discount?

12. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Definitely no to education discount. And I'm 99% sure it's a no for the iPod rebate.

13. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Nope... Only new Macs.

14. ranny2 macrumors member

Do you have to be a student to qualify for the free iPod Touch deal? Cheers

15. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Is this 100% accurate? Refurbs qualified for the free printer promotion, and I thought the back to school deal applied to refurbs last year. But I could very well be mistaken.

16. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I believe you must be a student or an educator to qualify. It should be the same as the education discount criteria.

17. crzdcolombian thread starter macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I got an open box one at microcenter for 900 bucks :D. It was brand new and awesome.

I hear that Apple will just give you a 200 dollar discount on anything in the store with the new going back to school thing. An ipad 2 would have been sick but really can't justify having both that and a macbook pro.

18. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

Many thanks for the heads up, crzdcolumbian! If I can get ahold of one at that price, it'll save my kid having to decide what to do with the iPod if he gets his hands on one. (keep or sell? keep or sell? . . . )

19. trachshack macrumors newbie

A salesman at the Apple store told me the promotion would probably start in a few days but didn't say anything about my having to be a student or teacher (which I'm not). I'm thinking he was mistaken in not mentioning this.

But a very close friend of mine is an assistant principal. Anyone know if I can simply order in her name but have it shipped to me and then register it in my name? Someone on the Apple 800# said I could do this but I just want to make sure that it won't be a problem. I'm holding off for the promotion but obviously won't hold off if I won't be able to get it. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Thanks.