Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
What sites are you talking about?

There used to be a site similar to http://www.*********.com, that was even featured on Larry King and several other news shows. The gimic was really the process of you signing up for offers and getting five other people to sign up for similar offers. The problem is they are a pain to complete, and often times, if you add value to the time it requires to complete them, it would probably be easier to just purchase an ipod yourself. I am not sure how much more difficult it is to do the macbook offers, but hey, if you have a lot of time on your hands, it may be worth it!

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
I've always thought some of those sites - the ones that offer free big screen TVs and the like - could be an effective tool for small groups. Most of them require a total of six people or so to complete, and the initial person gets the reward. So, if happen to live with five friends, it's easy enough to have one person sign up, and the five friends be the "referrals". Use parents addresses or whatever, and your house has a new TV!

Outside of that relatively limited sample, I really don't see them as viable. Possible, sure, but not terribly realistically.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
most of them eventually will send you free stuff, but in terms of the time and frustration usually required to complete them I determined long ago that it's not worth it. All of the offers you sign up for (with the intent of canceling before you actually spend any money) have multiple hoops to jump through even before you can cancel it. In addition you usually have to refer people to sign up for things as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.