Free iPod touch 3rd Gen for student purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by staplerz, Jul 21, 2009.

1. staplerz macrumors newbie

There are many rumors floating around regarding a new '3rd Generation iPod touch.' Looking at Apple release trends it would probably be release in September 09 along with Snow leopard. IF this is correct, do you think student purchases will still come with a free iPod Touch (new one). Or do you think Apple will stop the "Free iPod" promotion at the release of the new touch? The promotion ends September 8, 2009. Looking at there trends, do you think they'll start another? Or will Sept 8th be the end for a while..?

Thanks,
    mark

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The promotion serves as a method to clear out old inventory and usually ends right before the iPods are updated.

3. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

4. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Yea don't be surprised if the iPod Touch comes out on Sept. 9 exactly. :)

5. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Apple Ain't stupid. They had some new release last year and didn't include the new items in the promo.

You wonder why Apple is bumping up the end of the student promo a week? (last year it ended Sept 15) Maybe we know why now :D

6. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

You're right. I think there was a two week overlap between the time the promotion ended and when the new ipod touches were introduced. They were exempt from the promotion.

7. jpan08 macrumors newbie

You could get the free second gen ipod touch and sell it on ebay or something and then wait for the new one to come out and it might be almost free with the money you got. just a thought

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

9. MicahFreak82 macrumors member

10. saturnino3 macrumors member

I think last year or 2 years ago, the rebate offer was still available when the refreshed iPod Touch appeared. I think there was only a week left.

11. caonimadebi macrumors regular

last time an ipod update took place while the back to school was still going on, the rebate specifically listed out the eligible ipod models, which were the pre-update models.
    However, if the mac is updated before the back to school promo wraps up, you will be able to apply the rebate to the newly released mac. i got the new aluminum iMac first day it was release (august '07 i think), and was able to get a free ipod nano with it.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, if they introduce it before the promo ends, it won't be included in the promo.

13. staplerz thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks so much for replying. Im just going to buy it now and sell it on ebay.