Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

llee87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2009
I already bought a new BMP on May 1 with educational discount. Is there any way I am still eligible for the free ipod touch?? This makes me sad :(

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Highly doubtful, since it's more than a month after the purchase now. You could go in and talk to a manager who might let you, but I wouldn't count on it.

PS, since I know someone is going to bring this up; technically the machine and the iPod have to be on the same receipt for the receipt to be eligible for the rebate. The manager can print a new receipt with the machine's model number, change the price to $0, and sell the iPod concurrently.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not really. Basically the back to school promo is a widely publicized event that occurs annually. While there is a chance it would not be a promo year after year it has been very consistent for quite a few years.

You could ask Apple but don't get your hopes up. Do you qualify for a student discount?

Miles, it's May 31st, we're not quite at the "more than a month" mark.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I think somebody had posted this. He/she had called Apple and pleaded his case. I think they gave him a $100 credit. Not great, but something. YMMV.

llee87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2009
I used the help service on the Apple website to ask this Q. I also directly asked someone at the Apple store. They both told me that they won't give the free ipod touch unless the MBP purchase occurred within 2 weeks prior to the deal (their cut off date right now is May 11 and on)... :-/

llee87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2009
well, yeah, apple's web customer service people told me no. so i went to the store and told them my situation in person. they told me their policy and said sorry... :(

nickjf20

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
:(

Im in exactly the same boat as the OP, got my i7 w/applecare for £1370 and free printer, ill try in the trafford centre apple store at some point, but im doubtful, all id do is sell it anyway and buy a new one come september 9th

1=1?

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
did apple make you include a proof of student for the rebate?

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
I did the MAC + iPod Touch deal here in Japan. Here you basically got a credit for $200; an iPod Touch 8GB free (or any other iPod), or you could up-grade to a 32/64GB with the cost difference - I got a 32GB for $100, faster version 3 processor and headphones WITH mic (can use wifi and Skype!).

My sister is getting an educational discount in the coming week with the iPod and wonder if she's stuck with the 8gb or can up-grade with the USA program?

Anyone in the know?

Deeya

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
I went to the Apple Store, and was able to get the rebate. The manager "returned" the computer, resold it for $0 and stuck the ipod on the sales receipt.

I was within the 14 day return period, might be the only reason why it worked.

BIS2

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2004
Free ipod touch

I already bought a new BMP on May 1 with educational discount. Is there any way I am still eligible for the free ipod touch?? This makes me sad :(

This might make you happier. Someone sent me this last night....if you like in one of the areas listed below, you can open an account with Key Bank, make a few purchases, and get a free ipod touch. Here's the link:

https://www.key.com/gen/html/mkt-q210-check-touch.html

The offer is not available in all areas. Individuals and businesses will only be eligible in the following districts: Cleveland, Eastern OH, Idaho, Western NY, Oregon, Seattle Cascades, South Puget Sound, Central NY, Rochester, Maine, Northwest OH, Michigan, and Capital Region NY.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Had you come here and looked, or simply looked elsewhere at the past dates for the BTS promotion, you would have seen that it has begun at roughly the same time for the past several years, trending towards an earlier date as time has passed. You should have conducted more research and I don't see Apple doing anything for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.