Free iPod Touch promotion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Komodo Rogue, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Komodo Rogue macrumors newbie

Hey, sorry if this has been asked before, I UTFSE but no luck. Anyway, now that the free ipod touch promotion is here, I'm finally ready to pick up my 13" MBP (still deciding between 2.4 and 2.66, I know the difference isn't HUGE but I think it might be worthwhile considering I plan to use the laptop quite extensively). I was wondering if anyone has ever asked at the store or had any luck paying the difference between an 8gb and 16 or 32gb touch instead of getting a free 8bg?

If I can't do this I suppose I could just try to sell the 8bg and buy a 32bg touch independently, but it would be super cool if Apple lets me pay the difference because I doubt I'd get anywhere near 100% of the full price for an 8gb touch through craigslist/ebay/whatever.

Thanks!

PS If I get the 2.4 MBP and use the extra $ to get a SSD, without trim or anything how long would I have before I notice the SSD is getting noticeably slower/smaller? Would it last three years under moderate to heavy use? I know that question might be hard to answer; my knowledge of how SSDs work is limited.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

1. The SSD should operate fine over the peroid of 3 years.

2. Email Apple and ask them if they'd let you pay the difference for the iPod Touch.

3. What are you going to be using your computer for?

3. Laughingman13 macrumors member

I was wondering how long would the 320 gb 5400 rpm hard drive usually last?

Because I was hoping it wiill do more than four years.

4. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Unless you're really unlucky and you get a lemon, or you drop / damage your laptop, it should last four years without issue. Wear and tear will come into consideration of course, but given how much they spin, hard drives are pretty sturdy.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

My Dad's MBP hard drive has lasted over 5 years without a single fail:D Harddrives are mostly fine unless you damage em or get a dud one...

6. Komodo Rogue thread starter macrumors newbie

1. Cool thanks. That makes a SSD a lot more tempting.

2. By chance do you know the email address? I only know sjob@apple ;)

3. Mostly light internet browsing and iTunes (75% of the time), word processing + iTunes + Safari (10%), gaming (10%), light video / photo editing (5%).

thanks for your responses

7. Gherkin macrumors 6502

The free iPod deal is really just "$200 off any iPod." So yes, you could apply it to the 32GB Touch.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

A 2.4 processor should be more than enough for what your doing. I'm not sure of Apple's email address, but you might be able to contact em at: 1800-MY-APPLE in the USA, or 0800-MY-APPLE in New Zealand.

9. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

When you buy from the edu store, it will ask you if you want the touch promo, and you can choose from a list of ipods, and will get a rebate of $199 or actual cost, whichever is less. So you have your choice of ipod classic, nano, shuffle, touch 8, 32, and 64.

32 will cost you 299 up front -199 rebate by mail
    64 will cost you 399 up front -199 rebate by mail

10. Komodo Rogue thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I actually ended up calling an Apple retail store, and they said the same thing as you. I was surprised that I can even use the rebate to get an ipod classic too. Could I use an ipod classic for time machine backup?

11. Komodo Rogue thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I don't doubt a core2 2.4 will be sufficiently speedy for such basic tasks, but I use my computer for work and home constantly... And if the 2.6 makes load times faster even marginally, won't that be worthwhile over a 3-5 year lifespan? My only reason for contemplating the 2.4 is the $300 (!!!) premium, which is criminal... I mean c'mon apple, there is no way intel is charging you anything close to that price difference (the hdd is a little bigger too, but how much more is a 320gb drive than 250? like 35 bucks??)

12. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Speaking of the promotion,
    do you have to show proof when ordering online?
    If so, I could do a little photoshop work ;)

13. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

The Crucial SSD's have native GC so you won't have to worry about speed slowdowns. I think a few other SSD's also include native GC.

If you're not tight on the $'s then get the 2.66 and an SSD. :)

cheers
    JohnG

14. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

They do sometimes check to make sure you're a college student.

My friend went in store to get their MBP with the promotion and was told to hand over a schedule, acceptance letter, or school ID.

I did it online and was asked to fax my schedule for next fall.

I don't think it's an every time basis, but they do perform random checks.