Free iTunes Videos

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has posted a free iTunes Video page that compiles their current free video episodes available for download.

The section currently contains 14 episodes from different series. The episodes primarily include promotional videos and pilot episodes, presumably in an effort to increase the audience for upcoming shows.

Apple's video section continues to grow with regular additions to their lineup. Many still expect Apple to introduce a dedicated Video iPod in the future. Recent announcements by Seagate for 60GB and 120GB 1.8" drives have sparked speculation that Apple could use these higher-capacity drives in future iPods.

Attachments

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
That's awesome. Way to make things easier to find. Maybe free downloads will get people interested in buying other episodes and what not.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Macrumors said:

Apple has posted a free iTunes Video page that compiles their current free video episodes available for download.

The section currently contains 14 episodes from different series. The episodes primarily include promotional videos and pilot episodes, presumably in an effort to increase the audience for upcoming shows.

Apple's video section continues to grow with regular additions to their lineup. Many still expect Apple to introduce a dedicated Video iPod in the future. Recent announcements by Seagate for 60GB and 120GB 1.8" drives have sparked speculation that Apple could use these higher-capacity drives in future iPods.
wow! neato!i hadn't even heard of some of these shows.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
ezekielrage_99 said:
I'm up for some high capacity iPods, it would be nice to see a 60GB or 120GB iPod video
I have all of 6GB of music, but I'd take a 120GB version just for a travelling time-machine backup drive. Oh yeah - and the complete season of Firefly...

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I see why these videos are free, they're all 2nd or 3rd tier series. Free is pretty useless when it's not something you want at all. Still, it's a good marketing tool to let people dip their toes in the water into online video.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
spicyapple said:
The first hit is always free.
I suspect we'll seek a lot of freebie pilots and behind-the-scenes clips for shows premiering in August and September.

Also, is "Passions" the first soap opera on iTMS? I don't watch soap operas, but soaps would be a potential huge market, potentially if they stock the catalogs: subscriptions, catching up on what happened 10 years ago, etc. Start watching "Days of Our Lives" from the very beginning?

Daytime TV -- including Oprah, game shows, etc. -- is probably the biggest under-represented area on iTMS TV Shows.

April Dancer

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2006
Surrey, UK
revjay said:
Canadians unite and destroy the C.R.T.C.! http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/cancon.htm
We have yet to see even a sniff of a TV show on iTunes!

Not even Corner Gas!

Or Trailer Park Boys!

...or Whistler???
Join the club! Not so much as a trailer here in the UK. I'm not even sure why I care though. Whatever they have to offer is going to be nothing as good as the shows I can rip onto the iPod from my dvds, particularly as most of it is 25 - 40 years old! It's just the principle. :mad:

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Meh i'd be happy if the shows that were free weren't complete crap (Project Runway isn't crap but it's not worth watching outside of TV and certainly not on my iPod) :D. To anyone that enjoys them, mazel tov, but count me out of this one haha.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I downloaded the Psych free download a while ago, the rest of them I've either never heard of or I just think the show looks weird.:confused:

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Porchland said:
... Start watching "Days of Our Lives" from the very beginning?
ROTFLMAO! I think a complete collection of Days would fill every hard drive ever manufactured :D.

I think that show has been on TV, running daily, since the dawn of television itself. Well, not quite. According to Wikipedia, only since November 1965. But we're still talking about over 40 years of daily episodes!

But scarily enough, according to that same Wikipedia article, NBC apparently has all of the episodes in its archive, so this could theoretically be done. Gentlemen, I think we've just discovered a use for 4-layer Blu-Ray discs - so you can sell whole-season archives of soap operas :D

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
jameshopkins said:
Yeah they are missing out big time in the UK too
There must be some reason why they can't sell these things in the UK. I mean, some of the shows they sell on the US apple store we get here so why do they not allow us to have them too?

Only reason i can think of is that there is some legislation or some licensing fee involved which at this time outweighs the benefit for Apple. Still it would be nice if apple would give an official answer