Free iWeb compatible web hosting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samk8000, Dec 27, 2010.

1. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

I just bought my new MacBook Pro. I have made a website on iWeb already. I published it to MobileMe using the trial but I really don't want to pay $100/year for a website as I won't use any of the other services. I made a comuf account but when the website was uploaded, I got:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/a7803205/public_html/www.keenphoto.comuf.com/index.html on line 1

Does anybody know of any other free hosting that will be easier or how to make this one work?

2. celticpride678

The error you are getting is not because of the host (unless they don't support PHP). There is an issue with the code of your website.

Check with your host to see if they support the latest version of PHP.

3. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000

4. celticpride678

Could you post the code of the file index.html?

5. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000

6. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

Open your "index.html" file inside TextEdit, copy the contents and paste them here. I haven't used iWeb in about a year, so I'm not 100% sure where you'd find your index.html file.

Edit: I see you're using 000webhost (I've used that service before). You can find your index.html file with your "file manager" in your control panel. Might not be called exactly that, but you should be able to find it around there.

7. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000

I can't find it. Can you give me steps to find it?

8. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000

I found it, but when I open it in textedit it shows nothing

9. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

Open TextEdit, go to Preferences and choose the "Open and Save" tab. Then check the box that says "Ignore rich text commands in HTML files". This should allow you to see the code.

10. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><title></title><meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url= www.keenphoto.comuf.com/Home.html" /></head><body></body></html>

11. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

That's very weird that you're getting error messages. I'm assuming you're uploading directly through iWeb. You could try exporting the files from iWeb, and then add the files to the file manager. Also double check that files are being uploaded to the directory "public_html". This is very important.

I'm currently using 000webhost for a hobby website, and it works well and supports .php and many other things. The problem is most likely in the upload or the files themselves.