Free Lion Question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by iGrainger, Jul 13, 2011.

1. iGrainger macrumors member

iGrainger

Hey guys,

You'll know that if you buy a Mac at a specific time close to or after Lion, (like I have with my new iMac the other day) you get a free OS X Lion upgrade, the question I need to know is, how would they go about doing it?

I've been given a link to this: http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/uptodate/

If you click it when Lion is out, you fill it in and you get your upgrade. Will they just do it as a Redeem thing on the App Store?

The only other question I have, and I already know this but I'm not sure if it applies. With the free OS X Lion, is it only for that specific Mac? Will I have to purchase it for my MacBook too, or will I be able to download it via the Mac App Store with the free version they are giving me?

If that makes sense anyway. I wasn't sure if Apple are going to give me a free version specifically for my iMac, and whether I'd have to pay for the version on my MacBook. It wouldn't surprise me, and yes, I do understand the way the App Store works, if you buy an app on one Mac, it's free for the second to install etc. but I've never seen that for an OS X upgrade!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You'll probably get a promo code that gives you a free download of lion. I'd be surprised if Apple changed things to make it so you can only install it on one computer. It seems to me that it would be too much trouble for Apple add in something to keep you frodoing it.

3. dumb macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

ideally your uptodate program should cover your newest macs only and not your previous versions. Think of it this way, had you got your mac in august Lion would only be in that mac and not previous ones. Also, this year you dont have to pay 10 dollars for shipping :)

I for one was hoping that all new 2011 MBP owners would get a free copy