Free @mac emails for life

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GuillaumeB, Aug 25, 2007.

1. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Hello,

I have been playing around with .Mac . I am not sure but I think I have found a way to get a full featured @mac email free of charge forever.

This is what I thinking about tell me what you think:

1- First sign up for a 60 days trial account at Apple - .Mac. Your username will be you email address like username@mac.com
    2- If you do not already have one, sign up for a GMail account.
    3- Go to the Setting page in GMail and select Accounts > "Add another email address"
    4- Enter you @mac email address you just created
    Google will send a verification number to you @mac email address so that you can use it via the GMail platform thru the GMail system. This verification simply let Google know that you do own this email address.
    5-go to your @mac email address, look for the verification number
    Enter this number in the GMail setting page and you can even choose to make this new account as the default one when composing or replying to a message.

6- In you @ Mac address go to the system preference and choose to forward all incoming messages to your Gmail address.
    When you close a @mac account, you can specify to redirect all incoming messages to an alternate email address but you cannot send messages from the @mac platform. Therefore all incoming messages sent to you @mac account will be going to your GMail address. Normally you would have to use another email address to reply but since you already have authentificated you @mac email in Gmail you can safely close you .Mac trial because then you will be able to use you already authentificated @mac email via the google's servers.

So it seems that you can get a free @mac email for life thru the Gmail interface with plenty of storage.

Does that make sense?

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I might like to point out that it does not exactly work that way when you send mail.

When you use Gmail to send email for another account it will say From
    XXXs@gmail.com; on behalf of; You Name [XXX@mac.com].

Now I have never look at the email from the web side when I use gmail like that. It was always threw outlook which handles all my mail and handled it during that time and that is how it looked

edit: found an old email in the archives that had it.

3. GuillaumeB thread starter macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Nope i'm not all talking about the pop account thing

Gmail has the option to just add a new from-mail address and it does not display any "on behalf of gmail" thing.

They did do that for pop accounts but then they removed it no so long ago

I just set up my @mac email address in gmail, set it as default (not a pop account, a new email account -those are 2 different things), sent an email to a Yahoo account. I checked my yahoo account, the from line is my @mac email address nothing more

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you're using Mail or any other e-mail software on your computer, you can typically also just set it up to send outgoing mails according to that e-mail address, as long as you have an agreeable SMTP server (typically, the one from whoever is actually providing you internet connectivity, such as your ISP, will let you send e-mails under whatever address you want, including even fake / spoofed ones).

5. invigorated macrumors newbie

invigorated

.mac email would be infinitely more useful if you could use your own domain name with it. That's all I want.

6. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

I just route my domain's e-mail through Google Apps. I much prefer taylor@mywebsite.com to a .mac address. Google Apps is really awesome, for those who haven't tried it.

7. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Interesting theory, as long as there isn't any fine print about how long .mac forwards your e-mail after your plan terminates.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

There are plenty of other places that are cheaper and allow you to use domain names, and offer similar services. Fusemail is the one I currently use. Before that, I was on runbox.

9. GuillaumeB thread starter macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Nope there are no other places that provide similar services

Well also actually this was more targeting people who keep paying .Mac just to save their email address... I realized there are plenty of them