Free Memory on a Refurb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mdelaney123, May 3, 2007.

1. mdelaney123 macrumors regular

I just purchased a refurn 24" iMac. I have heard that there is a chance of getting a free upgrade on refurbs...

Has anyone ever heard of getting free memory?

I am thinking that Apple would simply pull 2 gigs and replace it with 1...

Just wondering if I should order from Cruial so the memory arrives with the iMac, or if I should wait to see what I get.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

It depends how that iMac was originally ordered.
    Apple very rarely modify refurbs.
    If it was originally a BTO with 2GB RAM, then one you order could still have 2GB.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I can hear Bob Dylan now.

How many threads....

4. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

OK, so say someone returns their 24" iMac with 500GB hard drive, 7600GT and 2GB of RAM. Sure, Apple could go in and remove those add-ons and replace them with the standard components but that costs them more money in time and labor. Even if they did, what are they going to do with those upgraded parts? They can't put them into a new machine becuase they are not new components. So, they leave everything intact and send it on to some lucky customer who happened to order at the right time.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The "upgraded" refrubs are typically noted by boldface in the specs, but some of the non-upgraded units do that, too. In any case, the units will not be surprises, and you will pay more for them compared to a base config refurb, but still discounted.

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Not always. I have been one of the lucky ones. I got an upgraded hard drive and additional memory in the Power Mac I purchased 2 years ago. All for the "regular" refurbished price.

7. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

No kidding.

mdelaney123, search the forums. There have been dozens of threads about freebies people get with refurbs. Memory is the most common freebie.

8. mdelaney123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for responding. Hopefully I will luck out.

BTW, why do people freak out when questions are duplicated? I just read the threads I am interested in, or where I feel I can help. If the tread I read turns out to be a duplicate, I either try to answer the question, or I move on to the next thread.

9. ymilord macrumors newbie

Mac Pro Goodness.

I guess I was one of lucky ones. 8 Months ago I purchased a Refurb Mac Pro.
    The Spec's on the apple site said "Quad Xeon 2.66 /w 1GB and 250GB HDD..." What actually came in the box was a Quad Xeon with 2GB (4x 512MB modules) and a 500GB HDD (An actual Apple OEM Drive [Has the apple logo on the drive sticker]) and a Bluetooth module. Which was a semi double wam-me because I purchased the BT Module thur a 3rd party vendor the second I clicked on the "Buy Now" button on the apple site. Thinking that it was not going to have it since the specs said it was not included.

Needless to say I was happy camper and my buddy ended up with a free Bluetooth module. The savings in those items (I was going to upgrade to 6GB of ram anyway and get a bigger HDD) Allowed me to pick up a ATI Radeon XT 1900 (512mb) fairly quickly after the purchase. Aperture was very very happy about that.

So its cool the they don't strip them down to "spec" if the unit has more stuff.
    By no means does this means that ALL refurbs get the extra goodies. But its nice to know that there MAYBE a chance :p

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Yeah, it is a good way to up your post count too.

11. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

I ordered my 20" iMac a while ago, refurbished. I took a chance.

When I placed my order, everything was stock options on it because you can't really customize how you want it.

Anyway, all in all, it arrived at my house suped up. Came with 2G ram and the 256MB video card. I was disappointed that they didn't put in the 500G hd, but I think that would be pushing it :)

12. Zegna macrumors member

Very cool!

I'm curious though, do refurbs get brand new casings, keyboards, etc before they were resold?

13. ymilord macrumors newbie

I doubt it. Most likely a really good cleaning. Maybe the fans get replaced but don't hold me to that. My Mac Pro was in perfect condition when I got it. The only thing different was the non-standard box it came in (Was a big brown box with "Apple Certified Product" across the bottom in grey with a white thermal stick with the model, serial number and specs. But inside it, it was packaged just like new one in a retail box.

The same goes for my MacBook, Airport Express & my 30" Cinema Display.
    All in perfect condition. No marks, dents or sratches. (Now that just maybe my luck) Just the brown box I was talking about above.

I have no issues purchasing refurbished, or "refreshed" as the guy in my local apple store like to call it. ESPECIALLY with 30~60% discounts.

All the items I listed above have been working flawlessly. The only item I purchased "New" in a retail box was my iPod video. And there was really no particular reason why I did that, other then the fact it was screaming "Buy Me!" at the apple store. Heh.