Free mp3 download apps removed from app store?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by tibetanterrier, May 11, 2014.

1. tibetanterrier macrumors newbie

A couple months ago there were a variety of free mp3 download apps available on the app store. They were essentially just basic file download apps with a built in music player similar to the build in music app. These apps are all now gone from the app store, I am assuming have been removed by apple. Anyone know why these would be taken down, because they were very useful.

2. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

I'm still seeing a lot of them.

Try changing the categories to Music or Utilities or searching 'download'.

3. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

The "alfadevs free music downloaded" seems to have been pulled. I hope this doesn't signify something ominous about apple becoming more evil.

----------

This one is still there:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/downloads-downloader-download/id343307433?mt=8

4. lovewd macrumors 6502

lovewd

I just looked, and some of them are removed!! It's just Apple teaching us that even though you have a completely locked down OS, there's always something you can do to lock it down even more! Soon enough you'll see all the Wallpaper apps disappear ;)

5. mmorphgg macrumors newbie

Well let me think... maybe because iTunes is a legal revenue stream for music producers and powers iTunes, and because MP3s can be pirated, and apps that allow MP3 downloads would bypass iTunes?

Just me pondering the obvious...

6. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Mp3 sharing for free = illegal and people actually go to jail for that in the US

Wallpaper apps = legal

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

They always get pulled sooner or later. That has been the case for many years now. In general, you are free to submit an app that does act as a downloader, hence SoundCloud and others exist. But most of these music downloaders that do get pulled, is because of DCMA takedown notices from someone else.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Apple is smarter than you think. The last thing they need right now is a Law suit from the record industry because an "app" on the appstore is distributing music content without proper licensing.

9. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I always wonder why they are on the AppStore and Apple hasn't removed them because they seem to violate a few rules.

10. lovewd macrumors 6502

lovewd

Trust me, the Apple would be the last people to get talked to by the record industry. Look at all the pirating music sites on the internet. None of them have been caught yet. But I see your point, Apple would rather be safe than sorry

11. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

None of them have been caught?? I think can think of a few file sharing sites that have!

12. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Whoa. This has been a real eye-opener. I guess my 8 month experiment going from Android to iOS has been worth it, because this little incident, finally demonstrates why a locked down ecosystem is not for me. Never Again.

There is certainly no iPhone 6 in my future. Nor a new iPad miniretina.

Well that saves me a bunch of money doesn't' it.

Cya apple.

I'll hang around these forums I guess a few more months until I figure out which new phone I'll get to replace my iPhone 5 and 5s, but that's it. ***** YOU APPLE.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Cool story. :apple:

14. PoopyThomas macrumors newbie

They also made apps remove the ability to cache youtube videos, so if you have any apps that do that don't update or delete them ;D

15. Sarah Dove macrumors newbie

16. Ericoftherock macrumors newbie

17. Winona Northdakota, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Free mp3 download apps removed from app store?

The SoundCloud app doesn't download. It just streams. As long as I can remember with the SoundCloud app, it has been streaming only.

----------

Google probably requested it. It is against YouTube's terms of service to download videos from YouTube, not Apple's.