free Mp4 joiner

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Tech198, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Is there any interested a free mp4 joiner tool only, that does not need to re-encode first ?

Used iMovie before to do this, but it re-encodes, and i hate the aspect ratio it uses... It may be standard to iMovie, but its not standard to the original file.

Mp4 Joiner works somewhat, but strips the audio out.

Tried cat tool under Terminal, which doesn't work..

Any simple joiners out there that is free, and doesn't re-encode? I have around 60 mp4, each 7 minutes long but wish to combine then into one 1 hour file. SInce i'll be encoding them with Handbrake anyway for AppleTV Preset it doesn't make sense to re-encode them just to join.

2. brujaz macrumors newbie

If you are comfortable with command line programs, look into ffmpeg.

You can then join your mp4 files with this command
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f concat -i <(for f in /Path/To/Files/File0*.mp4; do echo "file '$f'"; done) -c copy output.mp4
    That should join your mp4 files without reencoding.

3. Tech198, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016

Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

This didn't work.
    I also tried referencing from mylist.txt text file but in both cases i get error from Terminal

"[concat @ 0x7fce2980a400] Unsafe file name '<path>/Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 1 01.mp4'
    /dev/fd/63: Operation not permitted"

Update: tried -safe 0 option, but now the error comes back as /dev/fd/63: Invalid data found when processing input

4. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

That won't help.. Quicktime does work, but it only "trims" of the end to make room... does not shrink the entire video, just cuts it so to speak.

I don't want to loose any video.

Fee MP4 joiner managed to get this to work, however only once...... There is something up with this batch of videos, only the audio comes out after coverting, i loose the video.

h.264 video with avc1 audio..... it's no different than the other movies u'r used to join with MP4 converter, so now i'm trying to see what is going wrong. I also have perian installed... but made no difference.

http://imgur.com/a/HuRFs

however (above link) is what i get after converting.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

How can simple file merge trim them? Whan I try it, it increases the clip duration exactly by amount of added clip. I.e concatenates.
    But as I understand, you also want to speed up your playback 7 times?

PS On windows, you could use Handbrake batch encoder to merge and encode your project in one go:
    http://www.addictivetips.com/window...f-videos-with-handbrake-hb-batch-encoder-mk2/