Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Non-Exportable movies

I have QT pro, still i am not able to export these aol videos to other format. Save as/export/share etc options are disabled in this movie. Is there any other way to convert it to a iPod compatible format?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
katie ta achoo said:
When I tried it with Ben Folds (I love me the ben folds!!) it was some funky URL starting with "rtsp://" and safari didn't know what to do with it..

Couldn't download either Ben Folds video, any suggestions?

Pop the rtsp into Quicktime -> Show movie info ->copy URL and drop in Safari download window.

jonat8

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2004
United Kingdom
jaykk said:
I have QT pro, still i am not able to export these aol videos to other format. Save as/export/share etc options are disabled in this movie. Is there any other way to convert it to a iPod compatible format?

Go into VLC > File > Open File (Not Quick Open File!)

Then choose the locked mov file, tick Advanced Output.

Change Encapsulation Mode to Quicktime

Then in Output options, choose File and hit Browse and choose a path and name.

Change Transcode options:
Video: mp4v - bitrate 512kbps scale 1
Audio: mp4a - bitrate 128kbps channels 2

Tick Play Locally if you want to watch the video as it's being encoded but it might be jerky because encoding uses a lot of processing power. Suggest you leave it off.

Hit OK twice, VLC will start up and open your file and "play it", i.e. the progress bar will start going but no video will play unless you have play locally on. Once it's done and has "stopped", double click on the output file you saved to open it in QT and ta-da! One unlocked file that is exportable to another format.

Alternatively you could use this procedure to encode straight into the right format for your device but VLC isn't quite as customisable in terms of resizing and cropping as QT.

HTH :)

micha10589

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Berlin, Germany
darwen said:
I knew it could be done. Music videos made easy for the iPod. Well, there are numerous steps but for some people it may be worth the $1.99

I think this is legal. I usually am able to rip music videos with the little arrow by clicking on "Save as .mov" but these videos won't let you do that. That might mean it is illegal... I don't know.

Thanks Darwen, that was a great suggestion. I think it is legal because you just use the embedded link to download it. As long as you don't redistribute it that should be fine.

So far the videos play without a problem in iTunes 6.0.

Now my big question is, if the files (they are all .mov-files) will play on the video iPod. I opened the files in Quicktime (6) and the data format for video says "Sorenson Video 3" and for audio "QDesign Music 2 Decoder". Although the screen size is ok (320 x 240) I'm sceptical that it will play on the iPod... Would be a shame.

Could anyone, if he or she gets a new iPod check it out? That would be great.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
When I try to watch a video, Safari tells me I need RealPlayer.

I thought the movies were in QuickTime format?

micha10589

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Berlin, Germany
cleanup said:
When I try to watch a video, Safari tells me I need RealPlayer.

I thought the movies were in QuickTime format?

Yes, some are apparently only in RealPlayer-format. I tried the Madonna videos, and from the 50 or so most of them were in QT and play in iTunes. (Anxious for an answer to the question on playability on the iPod...)

Don't ask me if you can convert RealPlayer-files...

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
jonat8 said:

Tick Play Locally if you want to watch the video as it's being encoded but it might be jerky because encoding uses a lot of processing power. Suggest you leave it off.

Hit OK twice, VLC will start up and open your file and "play it", i.e. the progress bar will start going but no video will play unless you have play locally on. Once it's done and has "stopped", double click on the output file you saved to open it in QT and ta-da! One unlocked file that is exportable to another format.

Alternatively you could use this procedure to encode straight into the right format for your device but VLC isn't quite as customisable in terms of resizing and cropping as QT.

Thanks for the info.

crazyjoeda

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2005
Vancouver
Has any one with a 5G iPod tried it?? Does it play, I think it should since they are all .mov and the native resolution of the new iPod at 320x240.

Its weird how the files differ in size most are about 50mb but some are 10mb and others are 100mb but there all about the same length.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
crazyjoeda said:
Has any one with a 5G iPod tried it?? Does it play, I think it should since they are all .mov and the native resolution of the new iPod at 320x240.

Its weird how the files differ in size most are about 50mb but some are 10mb and others are 100mb but there all about the same length.

I am still in the exporting process (too many videos going at once)...I will let you know if it does work.

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2005
jaykk said:
Here is my first attempt at Automator to download AOL movies ( I hardly ever used Automator before - I don't know if I can zip the workflow and attach it here. In the mean time, i am attaching the screenshot).

1) Get the free copy-view-source automator action from here
2) create the Automator workflow as shown below
3) Watch the aol video - it has to be the front most Safari window
4) Run automator script
5) Switch to TextEdit, it will have only the paragraph containing URL, drag and drop ( or copy/paste) the URL to Safari download

Oh, I got it to work after I figured out how to use Automator. Thanks. :)

hcorf

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2004
i used to use the terminal to get the videos, have been doing this for a couple of months now because my university blocks p2p.

I think there is no way to capture the rtsp files because it is a stream, and so never gets saved anywhere on the hard drive.

Anyone worked out how to save realplayer streams yet? and then maybe convert to quicktime files? this would be really really useful for me.

davidcb13

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
I got the videos into iTunes but they wont transfer onto my iPod? Did anyone actually get them onto their ipod?

ahh got it thanks jon

iDM

macrumors 6502a
davidcb13 said:
I got the videos into iTunes but they wont transfer onto my iPod? Did anyone actually get them onto their ipod?

ahh got it thanks jon

None of the 15 videos i imported into itunes would transfer to my ipod. I tried that ffmegx program with 3 or 4 of them but the output files will not import into itunes. I realize i can't bit** to much but still i have spent 1 to 2 hours tried to get these files into the right res and audio blah blah blah without it providing any good results. If anyone knows how i can get these files onto my ipod please let me know. I have iMovieHD and QT 7 but not pro. I'll download any program, PM if you can't post. PLEASE HELP!!! I got some Radiohead and Aphex Twin videos that were made for this ipod.

filmsoncon

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2005
iDM said:
None of the 15 videos i imported into itunes would transfer to my ipod. I tried that ffmegx program with 3 or 4 of them but the output files will not import into itunes. I realize i can't bit** to much but still i have spent 1 to 2 hours tried to get these files into the right res and audio blah blah blah without it providing any good results. If anyone knows how i can get these files onto my ipod please let me know. I have iMovieHD and QT 7 but not pro. I'll download any program, PM if you can't post. PLEASE HELP!!! I got some Radiohead and Aphex Twin videos that were made for this ipod.

I'm with you-- it's hard to complain when we're trying to get free vids, but it's still irritating to get a look at what all they have, work and work to d/l them, and not be able to get them on the iPod. I was able to use Safari to get the .mov files, but I can't get them into .mp4 format. I've tried using Quicktime Pro, iSquint, and ffmpegx. None of them would convert the files. I tried the VLC work-around above, and no dice. If I can find any other freeware that'll work (I'm not spending any more $$$, I already spent $30 to upgrade to QT Pro) I'll take another crack at it, but for now, I'm throwin' in the towel.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I can't seem to get it either. I just got my iPod on Friday and loaded all of the vdeos I had except for the music videos. I was finding all the programs mentioned on this post and trying them but none of them worked for me either. I have not tried VLC yet but from the post above this one it seems that won't work. How could this be happening?

I brought it into Final Cut Pro 4.5 and exported the video.. Unfortunately the audio is encoded in a way this won't really work (you just get the video) and it is a lot of effort. I spent about 20 min per 3 min video and still didn't get audio. I tried bringing in the song but the videos I got have remixed tracks.

This sucks! You mean to tell me I need to pay for music videos? Honestly, who ever pays for a music video... oh... wait... um... those 1 million people did.

hydguy

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2005
If the Vido is anything other than an ACC codec before exporting, it will not play on the video iPod.

I have converted a bunch of videos to mp4, and only the ones with ACC will work.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I FIGURED IT OUT!

IT takes a little work but for $30 you can get all of those AOL videos onto the iPod video. All you need are VLC and Quicktime Pro.

First, Step 1: follow the VLC steps outlined here

jonat8 said:

Now, Step 2:
Open the video in Quicktime. Go: File>Export from the drop down choose 'Movie to MPEG4' and there you go!

Two steps and it works, I just tested it with one video and it was a success. You need both steps in order to do it.

jgandrade11

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2005
Hello everyone,

I have downloaded some videos from AOL following all the steps posted here, but when i want to unlock them using VLC (with all the specifications posted in this forum: Encapsulation method-Quicktime Video-mp4v-512-1 Audio:mp4a-128-2) i get a file that plays the video nicely, but there is some distortion in the sound, its like fastfowarding itself, even though the video plays a normal velocity. I try converting again with VLC and the same happens. This only happens to some videos, not all of them.

Now, the .mov file that I dloaded from AOL plays nicely, without any problems. The problem arrives onces its been converted through VLC. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

I want to put this videos on my ipod, and so far i havn't found a way to "unlock" this files using VLC. Is there another program that could "unlock" these files?

jgandrade11

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2005
I've found a way to fix this problem, you just have to download the latest VLC beta version available. Even though its a beta version I havent had any problems with all the videos
:cool:

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Not certain about the legality of it, but it actually does seem legal (for the moment). The videos work perfectly in iTunes. Thanks, Darwen!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.