free office software versus MS Office/iWork

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iCheese, Jun 18, 2010.

1. iCheese macrumors regular

Does anyone have any recommendations on one software suite versus another? I have used iWork (brief use of the trial) and MS Office in the past, and right now I am looking at Openoffice, which seems really nice.

I am considering dropping some money on iWork, but I am not sure if it is worth it.

Any shared experiences or recommendations or comparisons will be very welcome.

thanks!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I use OpenOffice.org myself. Very well done for a free, open-source program. My favorite thing about it is how easily it can be extended.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are dozens of threads like this one on this forum. Your thread will not produce new information. Search this forum to read everything that can be written on this subject.

4. iCheese thread starter macrumors regular

You know, I did a search and only a few, maybe 6, threads came up. With a new thread I could get new information from someone who hasn't seen a thread such as this.

If you are trying to be so helpful you could either remain out of my thread or post links to the mentioned threads.

5. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Both iWork and openoffice do a fine job. Both claim MS office compatibility, but that is BS. Sure they will generate a file that can be read by MS office, but it will usually look differently than it does in the software that generated the document. I ended up getting MS office because I needed the compatibility for my kids school work.

If you don't need to interoperate with office, iWork or openoffice will do fine.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

At this point there really aren't many unique viewpoints on the OpenOffice vs Office vs iWork debate. Look through the other threads instead of wasting your time waiting for the same tired responses.