Free (or cheap) online storage of video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by acearchie, Jun 12, 2012.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Hi guys,

Title may sound obvious but I am not talking vimeo, youtube style storage.

I have recently learnt about Layar and augmented reality video and how at the moment the system is free to use.

Basically I want to set up the pictures around my house as Layar objects so that when you hover the app over them you can play a video of the occasion at which the photo was taken, maybe the photo is in fact a still from the video.

I have tested this and it all works but if you want it to play in the app itself you need to be able to link to a .mp4 (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/dhklakjhs.mp4)

Does anyone know of any free hosting services that do this and if not any cheap alternatives?

Thanks.

2. Babybandit macrumors regular

I'm only speculating. But perhaps if you upload it onto Dropbox, and use the "Get Link" function? I'm not sure if this works. But it could be an option. As with most Cloud Storage, there is the option to generate a public link.

Hope Dropbox works, if not, it inspires an answer.

3. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Dropbox can provide a public link for files. You will be limited on free storage but there are ways to increase that (referrals, advertising for referrals, and other perks you can do). I'm up to 6.5GB right now.

Another option is box.com. If you have a touchpad, android phone/tablet or blackberry, you can get 50GB of free storage. I'm not sure how box.com works because I never use it, but it would be an option. I think there is a 100mb file limit as well so take that into consideration.

Check out this as well:
    http://slickdeals.net/f/4357460-Free-Online-Storage-88GB-Total-if-You-Can-Pull-it-Off-The-Complete-List

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Tried Dropbox, seemed like the best option that should of worked but unfortunately doesn't, I think it's because it needs a raw link to the video whereas the dropbox link puts some guff around the page. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Tried box but unfortunately the free account doesn't allow preview of video files. Then tried most of the sites on that list but to no avail (thanks for the list all the same).

I think the jist is I need to find a site that allows streaming to iOS devices, therefore doing .mp4. But finding one that does it for free is going to be pretty hard I fear!

5. floh macrumors 6502

I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but just now I accidentally stumbled across "GDrive", which seems to be a free phone app for GoogleDrive, which can save pictures, videos, and such stuff... maybe this will work for you?

6. boch82 macrumors 6502

I don't know what your definition of cheap is, but I pay about $200 every 2 years for my own domain and web hosting. Its easy to set up and you can do anything you want with it as far as loading files with a direct link...etc

7. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I think the thing is, this was just for a fun personal project and it's probably not worth $200 a year. Maybe when I finally get a site up and running I can piggy back it off that. Have to see how longer layar is around for aswell!

p.s. floh I did try GDrive and it had less functionality than Dropbox, must have got my self about 25gigs of free online storage with all the things I've signed unto today!

8. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what you mean, I have an account and in the public folder I've placed a .mp4 file into it. When I right click on the file, go to dropbox, select copy public link, it creates a link dl.dropbox.com/...../file name.mp4. Both safari and chrome try to play the file in the window, but nothing of dropbox is loaded that I'm aware of. Is this what you did?

9. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Have you tried Amazon's S3 server?

Not free, but very affordable. They only charge for the space and bandwidth you use, and it's peanuts per gigabyte. Not easy to setup, but it certainly has the capacity to do what you want.

10. MimiHome macrumors newbie

MimiHome

Great ideas! I will also have to look into learning more about GDrive. I did know about dropbox as well as the limitations. Thanks for the info!