Free OSX Snow Leopard for my buddy?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alexjholland, May 14, 2012.

1. alexjholland macrumors 6502

Hey, my friend has one of the unibody 13" Macbooks (the one that Apple realised should quite obviously be called a 13" Macbook Pro a few months later).

He's not massively geeky like me and was thinking of upgrading, but I realised he's still on Leopard and have convinced him he just needs OSX Lion, a new battery and perhaps a RAM upgrade.

Can we get him a free copy of OSX Snow Leopard so he just pays for Lion?

He wasn't a member of MobileMe so doesn't qualify there, although I was before I went onto iCloud.

Can either me or him get a disc and serial for free? Seems more reasonable than buying both Snow Leopard and Lion in one go!

Cheers

2. Richdmoore, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012

Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

There is no serial number for snow leopard. You simply buy the upgrade disc and install. After that simply update using the the software update option to access the Mac app store. You can purchase lion from there.

Oh, I had already upgraded from mobile me to iCloud, and the link to request a snow leopard disc still works. (I used the link embedded in the story on macrumors.)

EDIT: Here is the web site to get your free snow leopard copy if you (or someone else) previously used mobile me:

https://www.me.com/snow-leopard/

3. simsaladimbamba

Legally no.
    You need to buy the 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD via the Apple Online Store if you wish to update that Mac to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.
    And there is no serial number for Mac OS X.

4. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

Find someone who purchased the Snow Leopard Family Pack and didn't use all of their installations...

5. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Balls. I remember buying the single-use disc and seeing the family pack for £1 more and thinking 'Why would I ever need that'?!

6. simsaladimbamba

Then one can simply download it illegally, as Family Packs are meant for families, as the EULA would still be violated.

7. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

The implication was for him to find one within his family; not post on Craigslist!!!....

Sheesh!!!!

8. simsaladimbamba

Implication? Okay. But thanks for the imaginative use of rolling eyes instead of actual revolving ones.

9. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

10. MichaelLAX, May 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012

MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

$29 free shipping from Apple Store: hope you ordered it from there!

PS: If your buddy has any PowerPC (PPC) apps that require Rosetta, they will not run in Lion.

Consider this post: Install Snow Leopard (and Rosetta) in Parallels 7 in Lion:

Full installation instructions here (you already purchased the fresh Snow Leopard Install DVD):

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14799174#post14799174

Attached Files: