Free Pages/Numbers/Keynote apps for 2010 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by saintforlife, Dec 31, 2013.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

I have a 2010 MacBook Air and I recently bought an iPad Air. I was able to install Pages, Numbers and Keynote for free on my iPad. I was under the impression that I would be able to install the same apps on my MacBook Air for free too (that's how I understood it when Apple made these apps available for free with new device purchases). But when I go into the Mac App Store it still asks me to pay $19 for each of those apps.

Am I missing something? Or did I understand the 'free' part incorrectly? Are those apps free only on the new device you buy?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Are you running Mavericks on the 2010? Same iTunes account?

3. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes and yes. Same iCloud/iTunes account. I did a clean install of Mavericks today by wiping the SSD. This is the first time I am trying to install any of the iWork apps on my Mac. I've never paid/purchased those apps on my Mac.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It should show up in purchases. It's only free if your new Mac came with Mavericks, i.e. late 2013 purchase. Else you've got to install an old copy from your iWork DVD then update via the app store.

Ah iPad air, it's a completely different app store.

5. BL4zD macrumors 6502

double check but I believe the App Store (Mac) and iTunes (iPad) versions are different

6. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Just like you received iWork iOS for free with your new iPad air, you only get iWork OS X version for free with purchase of a new Mac. You don't get iWork OS X version free with iPad air.

7. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

Did you install iWork (whichi assume was bundled with the MBA) ? The upgrade should be free from there.

If not get the free trial iWork 9 (downloadable from many places) install that and activate the trial then upgrade via App store. Some posters on here have found that didn't work but it did for me.