Free Password Manager?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ManBearWaffle, Jan 31, 2010.

1. ManBearWaffle macrumors member

Can you guys recommend a decent, free password manager? I was a big KeePass fan when I used Windows, however KeePassX doesn't have auto type on OSX. I tried 1Password, but I didn't like it very much and I definitely would not pay $39.99 for it.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

Is there any way to get auto fill to work? Copying and pasting log in info is a pain.

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

What's wrong with KeyChain? It's built-in to the OS.

5. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

I need something that will generate passwords for me and also store them and automatically type them. Can KeyChain do that? I'm a new Mac user so I'm still trying to get the hang of everything.

EDIT: I also need to be able to import my KeePass database.

6. Celeron macrumors 6502a

1Password is exactly what you're looking for. Its the best option on OS X. I didn't like it at first either, but I've come to rely on it. Very nice program.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...but it's also "safer". IMO there's no point in having an autofill feature if your goal is security.

8. Zortrium macrumors 6502

1Password rocks and does exactly what you're asking for. What didn't you like about it?

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

+2

I have owned every version of 1Password thus far and couldn't imagine my Mac without it. I miss it dearly when I'm in Boot Camp Windows 7 and Roboform is a poor substitute IMO.

1Password FTW.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Can you people read?

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

As far as free apps, best I've found is KeepassX

12. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

Autofill is safe if you change the settings to ask for your master password every time. I guess I'll just use KeePassX. Hopefully a new version comes out with auto fill soon.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

True. You could suggest it to the devs... it's an open source project after all.

14. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

i use keepassx.

i have my database synced using dropbox and since its cross platform i use it on my macs and windows machines.

15. jtara macrumors 65816

I use LastPass, because it has add-ons for multiple browsers, plus an iPhone app.

I used to use Password Safe (free) but when I got a Mac I started looking into other alternatives. Password Safe is venerable, open-source, and there are compatible programs available for OSX and Linux. But you are on your own syncing across machines, and it doesn't have any real browser integration.

KeePass seemed most similar to PassWord Safe, but more up-to-date and with more features and third-party support. But I found it even more clunky than Password Safe (which clunkiness I was willing to put up with due to it's straight-forward simplicity), and wanted something with browser integration. Plus it really doesn't have great implementations on OSX and Linux.

I resisted the idea of storing this data "in the cloud", but am satisfied that LastPass does encryption locally and they do give you a local file that it uses as a backup source if the online service is unavailable (or if the company fails...). I haven't had any problems with sync, and use it across my Kubuntu box, MacBook, and Windows 7 VMs on both machines, as well as my iPhone.

16. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

I tried LastPass but I was afraid of what would happen if they ever closed. Can it export a KeePass file, or something that can be imported by KeePass? If they close, will it still work the way it should, but locally instead?

17. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The OP said he didn't like 1Password and then the followup post asked him exactly what he didn't like about it since it seemed to do everything he was trying to do.

I have a question: Can you be any more arrogant in your posts? My guess is no.

18. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

I forgot to say why I didn't like 1Password :p. I didn't like it because when I go into "Go & Fill Login", it some of sites don't show up, and some don't even show up in the search inside the browser. I don't know if I'm just using it wrong or maybe it had to be restarted, but I didn't like it. I also didn't like that it didn't keep my KeePass password categories, and I didn't like that I couldn't drag logins from "Logins" to "Accounts" or "Wallet".

19. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Thanks for the explanation. Even if it was just because you thought $39.99 is too much to pay for a password manager it's your prerogative of course. ;)

I have not had any of those problems with 1Password though.

I wish you the best of luck in finding an alternative solution.

I also own AllSecure and use it a lot as well. I'm not sure if it could do what you're seeking to do.

20. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

The thread title and first post also specified the word FREE...that alone should tell folks why the OP didn't want to use 1Password.

21. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes, but this does not preclude one from asking specifically what his objection to 1Password was since he also mentioned not liking it in his initial post. ;)

These are discussion forums after all.

Oh, and as it turns out there were other reasons besides the fact that it wasn't free so "that alone" didn't tell us.

22. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If it's a discussion about free password managers and they already stated that they would not pay $39.99 for 1Password, that should be more than enough of a hint not to bring it up.

Learn to read and I will be less arrogant.

23. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Oh, is that the rule now? I wonder if you'd be so kind as to point me to that one in the forum rules because I must have missed it.

The OP stated he had tried 1Password and didn't like it very much. I don't see the slightest thing wrong with asking him to elaborate on exactly what he found objectionable about it. :)

I doubt that. I often read your posts in these forums and I don't think you're capable of being anything but, whether you mean to or not. At first I was chalking it up to a language issue but I don't think so anymore.

Personally I try to get along with everyone and accept other's opinions freely. Life's much easier that way.