Free PDF writer advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bonanza jb, Nov 2, 2009.

1. bonanza jb macrumors newbie

Hi all, Can anyone recommend a good free pdf writer (I used to use Cute PDF on Windows but not available for mac)? I have installed E Record from ATO (for Mac) and when i try to save invoices as pdf's (to email to clients) they only save as black and white, but would like to have my logo in colour. Any help would be much appreciated - Kind thanks in advance.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You don't need one on a Mac. Every print dialogue box should have a "Save As PDF" button on it: anything you can print can be saved as a PDF.

3. coops macrumors regular

Yes, as robbieduncan says..... it really is that easy. Whether you're printing from Office or from a web page.....

I also like the fact i don't need a clunky, slow Adobe reader to read PDF's....

Coops

4. bonanza jb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies but it prints in black and white only and Id like it in colour. Is it possible? thanks

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Then you are doing something wrong: mine will create colour PDFs very happily.

6. bonanza jb thread starter macrumors newbie

What could i be doing wrong? I go to print, select pdf, and thats it! Could it be something in the ATO E Record app? Was always able to print the invoices in colour on Windows. It prints the logo in colour if i actually print it to paper (not as a pdf), but i I save to pdf, it will only print in B & W. Again, any help is appreciated - perhaps you could elaborate on 'you must be doing something wrong'????

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have no idea. I can only suggest you have the printer set to print in black and white and the save as PDF picks this up.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Are you choosing the PDF button at the bottom left of the Print box, or are you choosing a PDF Printer?

You should be choosing the button.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Using the OSX PDF engine, I can easily produce color PDFs. I'm not sure what the OP can be doing wrong but look at the printer settings/configurations

10. bonanza jb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies. yup I am using the PDF button at the bottom of the print box. What is the PDF engine? ANd my printer is not set to B&W. Perhaps it is something in the ATO 'E Record' app????? Havent come across this before in any other program (mind you i am brand new to MAC - AND LOVING IT!!!!!) thank you all so much for your help so far.

11. dyn macrumors 68030

The save to PDF function will use the exact same settings as when you hit "Print". If you set the print settings to print it in b/w than save to PDF will be in B/W. In the print dialog I switch to Paper type/Quality (click the context menu with the application name in it and then select this option), click the arrow on the left of "Color options" and set that from grayscale to color. After changing this you can save to PDF and end up with colours in the PDF :)