free phone before activtate iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hlkc, Mar 22, 2008.

1. hlkc macrumors regular

I've an iPhone since last July and bought one of those $249 refurbished Iphone from ATT just yesterday. Before activitate this phone, can I still get free phone from ATT resell, daughter, gifts... Do I need to have another contract with them? Or as soon as I activitate the Iphone it will over lap the free phone 2 years contract? Please advice.

2. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I'm having an incredibly difficult time trying to understand what you're asking. Can you explain a bit more how you got 2 years' contracted AT&T free phone service?

3. hlkc thread starter macrumors regular

Please correct me if I am wrong... most if not all phones in ATT stores required a 2 yrs contract. Before I activate my 2nd $249 refurbish iPhone, I am thinking to get one of those free phone, but my question is do I need to signed up another 2 years contracts if I get that free phone? I already have both lines with them and I am using my 2nd line to upgrade/taking the advantage of the free phone before I activate the $249 refurbish iPhone. Can I do that? Will I have 2 or 3 contracts including my contracts?

4. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

So you have the iPhone in hand but its not yet activated? But you are planning on adding it to a family plan?

If so, set up a new line and get the free phone. Once you have that, you can use that number to activate the iPhone. When you run the registration through iTunes set it up as an exsisting number.

Then that free phone is yours to sell or do as you wish.

ALL new lines require a 2yr contract. If you add a line, it will require its own 2yr contract. If you roll those 2 lines into a family plan, you will re-start with a 2yr contract.

edit - re-reading your last post Im still confused. I will say though, that if you take a free phone from any wireless carrier you can bet your life that you will be locked into a 2yr deal. (although some do offer 1yr extensions)

5. hlkc thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I'm confused too :)

I have an iphone since July.
    Just bought a 249 iPhone for my wife.
    before activtate her iPhone, can I order another phone from online when I get that phone then I will go ahead activitate my wife iPhon but only paying 2 lines not 3?

6. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Ok, so you currently only have 1 line? Lets work with that assumption.

Yes, you can order a 2nd line, get a free phone, then when that phone arrives, you can use the telephone number that line is assigned to activate your iPhone. Actually, they will send you an email giving you the new number, then at that point you can activate with that number. You dont technically even have to wait until that phone has arrived. Once you have the # you are good.

As far as how many contracts you have, only 2. The one you currently have, and the new one. Activating the iPhone will override the contract on the new phone/line. They dont stack on top of each other. If you convert to a family plan you will only have 1 contract, but it will start the day you convert.

Then the free phone is yours to do with as you please. Ebay? :)

BTW, how do I know this? We just did that very thing. Bought wife an iPhone refurb. Added a line to my account, got a free Sony Ericcson phone. When the new line phone number was generated used that number to activate iPhone through iTunes. Free Sony is on Ebay. And to add...we currently have 2 separate 39.99 plans (+$20 data). On April 4 our plans will merge into a FamilyTalk plan, and our contract will start 2yrs from that date.