Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
I need a free graphics software that is good for very basic editing much like Paint although I would prefer a little more capability like PaintShop Pro. My PaintShop Pro demo is about to expire and my Windows install did not include Paint. Anyone got suggestions?

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
I need a free graphics software that is good for very basic editing much like Paint although I would prefer a little more capability like PaintShop Pro. My PaintShop Pro demo is about to expire and my Windows install did not include Paint. Anyone got suggestions?

Easy that one - do a google for the gimp, almost as good as photoshop in most peoples view

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
The Gimp has nothing like the power of Adobe Photoshop.

It does have some useful features for image editing though.

To say it is "almost as good" is very misleading.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK

Unless you are using the high end/pro user tools in photoshop (very rare and I do design) the gimp will cover all the bases for a home user, hence the comment that its almost as good. If you have used photoshop then there is a learning curve but its nothing major.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.

if this guy thinks PSP is good enough, I'm guessing he's not too big into 16-bit editing. in this case, the GIMP will be almost as good as PS to him.

Also, if you want PSP 9, buy a lexar SD card. it'll come free.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
Irfanview is the GraphicConverter of the Windows world. Supports almost every graphic format imaginable, as well as basic editing functionality.

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
If your main objective is to edit photos just go with Picasa (google it) , it's a nice app to manage your pictures, do basic edit's to them and a bunch of other stuff. Best of all, it's FREE! :)

If you want to do Icon creation or other form of digital art then you should really go with Photoshop, I consider The Gimp nothing like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.