Free PhotoShop Alternative

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ollie N, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Ollie N macrumors regular

Ollie N

I need a free photo shop alternative. I tried gimp, Choco shop, and live quartz. I disliked all of them. CAn you give me a free alternative that is a download (not a big fan of online stuff). thx

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You're running out of options... Paint.NET is a really impressive free Windows one -- if you run Parallels or VMWare, it might be a solid one for consideration.

It might help if you explained also why you didn't like GIMP and the other major free packages?

3. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

gimpshop is pretty good for windows. its just gimp without gimps crappy interface. its made to mimic photoshop. its more windozy if you will.

only downside is it doesnt like either windows 7 or 64 bit windows though i dont know which one. one of the 2 anyway was making it crash for me.

4. Ollie N thread starter macrumors regular

Ollie N

tried

just tried seashore after i posted and it was too complicated to install paint.net in virtual box.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If Seashore is not good enough and paint.net is too hard, how did you ever expect to use Photoshop?

6. Ollie N thread starter macrumors regular

Ollie N

no

no paint.net was hard to install and seashore didnt have what is wanted

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, if you told us what you need, we might be able to help you better. :D

You know, absolutely any of the effects and brushes from The GIMP are compatible with Seashore.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What exactly do you need to do? If it's just simple cropping and resizing, use Preview. If it's something more advanced you're going to have to just go with one of the alternatives already mentioned.

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

There's always GIMP. I read you didn't like it but I doubt there's anything comparable to Photoshop.

10. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

11. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

Despite not releasing a new version for years, the Seashore developer(s?) are currently soliciting views on feature and user-interface requests for the next release — if you've identified a genuine deficiency in the program that feels like it is a sensible development suggestion, you should probably pop over to the Seashore forum and mention it.

12. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you were to say WHY you disliked them we might be able to figure out what you might like. What is it you want to do that they don't do?

13. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

do we really need to argue? it's a photo editor.

Gimp and Seashore for the free route.

but if you have no soul it's time to check the torrents

14. DR_K13 macrumors regular

15. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Gimp is the best free option.

If you got the macheist bundle, give acorn a try.. It's not free though.

16. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

You're pretty much SOL if you don't like the available alternatives. I mean, how many teams of people do you really think are going to work on free Photoshop alternatives? It's tremendously intricate software. GIMP is easily the best alternative, annoying as the interface is.

17. chandsa Guest

If you don't mind paying ~ $200 an EXCELLENT alternative to Photoshop is Bibble. Check them out at www.bibblelabs.com. I DID read that you wanted a free alternative, but your choices are limited to what's already been mentioned.