Free powerbook G4? Waiting for Penryn? Help.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by masse, May 25, 2007.

1. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

Okay so I can't exactly get a powerbook G4 for free...but basically. I have a $800 guitar amplifier that I got used for $400. My friend (he's not exactly poor) is willing to trade me a 17" powerbook G4 from 2005 for the amp.

I play acoustic now so the amp is just collecting dust.

I originally was waiting for a SR macbook pro. My friend's offer interests me greatly. Would it be a good idea to take him up on the deal and use the powerbook until the holiday season when I could buy a newer macbook pro with penryn and leopard?

I'm not sure what I should do here...I really wanted a macbook pro but more importantly just need a machine to bring to college with me. I figure penryn/leopard release will be much more significant. Maybe I could even wait til next summer to pull the trigger on a MBP.

Also, I don't know much about the G4 powerbooks. Anyone own one?

2. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

I'm always wary of buying stuff of friends, just incase stuff goes wrong with what you've bought, be mindful of that.

First of all, make sure that YOU are happy with the laptop he is giving you, are all of its faculties intact? Check there is NOTHING that might annoy you about it, if its 2 years old, its worth checking for stuff.

The PowerBook G4 was a very capable computer by all standards, but be sure you'll be happy with it for the time that you are going to have it in!

3. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Hmm... 1000-1200 dollar computer, 400 dollar amp.

I'd take that deal so fast your head would spin if I were you.

Seems kinda like your buddys getting the shorter end of the stick. :D

5. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

Yeah I thought of that....I could just sell it on ebay...

6. warfa macrumors regular

if everything is in order, it sounds like an AWSOME deal!
    I'd jump on it!!:eek:

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Take the PowerBook for sure, that's one kick-ass deal!

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

One of my work machines is a G4 PowerBook. It's ok for basic stuff, not as slow as you'd think. The 17" screen is nice. Test it out, play with it a little, and if it works, I'd take it. Just have some money set aside in case it dies and you need to replace it.

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Take the powerbook and keep in mind that should you come to sell, it'll be a hell of a lot easier to sell a compact, light and desirable item like a powerbook than a heavy amp.

10. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

Think I could squeeze a $1000 USD out of it?

I think I'm going to take him up on the deal today at least to see if I like the machine. If not he'll probably pay cash. Either way I was going to sell the amp.

I'll take some pics and let everyone know how it is. Thanks a lot guys:apple:

11. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

My primary Mac is my PB G4 1.33 15". It is absolutely fine for all the basic functions [email, web, iTunes, etc.]. I also dabble in CS3 and, while it may be a little sluggish at times, it is more than sufficient. It falls a bit short for GarageBand use, and would likely do the same with FCP and the like.
    I absolutely endorse this trade.;)

Not sure you'll get $1,000 for it when the next monster update to the MBP is released, but you'll definitely fetch more than the $400 you'd sell the amp for.
    If you can't, PM me and I'll buy it for $400 if it is remotely decent shape.:p

12. afbuckeye macrumors member

if you aren't going to take the deal... then i have a fender stage 160 amp that he might be interested in :)

13. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

I'm selling a fender hotrod deville 2x12" 80w tube amp.

That thing is loud as all hell. I'm going to take a look at the notebook today.