Free Program To Convert VOB. Files To MP4?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dannyboxer, Dec 10, 2008.

1. dannyboxer macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Hi. After ripping a DVD to a Mac on MacTheRipper, how would I then convert the VOB. files into MP4. files to make them compatible with iTunes so I can sync them onto my iPod.
    Thanks, Danny.

2. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja

3. oxfan macrumors member

Use http://handbrake.fr/. If you have an up to date version of VLC installed you can use it to rip the DVD as well.

4. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It is going to take a long time. If the picture wasn't clear then you didn't set the resolution properly.

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

From my experience, Handbrake should have a better picture quality than iSquint. Also, it depends on the presets that you use. Did you use the newest version of Handbrake (0.9.3)?

7. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Yeah, I used the newest version of Handbrake and when it was finished there were green lines all over the video. There's no settings to set either, so I couldn't of got setting wrong.

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Are you sure that MacTheRipper ripped the DVD properly? Use the DVD application to play from the VIDEO_TS folder to check and see.

You can use Handbrake for the whole process if you download the free VLC Player. Handbrake will use VLC for the decryption process. Just point to the DVD as the source for Handbrake and choose whatever preset you want from the sidebar (example: Apple -> iPod).

Handbrake Guide

9. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

iSquint is working cool converting the VOB. files to MP4. Thanks stealthninja for showing me that program. :)

10. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja

no problem, i figured it was probably the easiest to use. personally i use visualhub which offers conversion to a few different formats, but it's not free.

11. devburke Guest

That's strange...Handbrake generally has lots of settings to set.

I'd definitely recommend it above iSquint. iSquint is simpler, but it's much more limited, and it's pretty outdated. The quality also tends to be lower.

That said, if HB's not working for you, then it's not working, so use what does work.

12. persynt macrumors newbie

I was having the same problem. I was trying to convert my dvd to another format to put on my Iphone. It came out with green lines but the audio was ok. If I put VLC in my applications it uses that to decypt the cd to come out clear?

13. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

VLC will help with decrypting the dvd. Did you rip the dvd first or convert directly from the dvd? if you ripped it first, the rip could be bad. Make sure everything is up to date and try again. If your using mactheripper the most recent version, AFAIK, is 3.0r14. There is also a 64bit version of handbrake available now. I think its a beta but it works great.

14. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

There are loads of settings to set. Look harder.

Edit: Don't bump old threads.