Free Public WiFi connection on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slip Jigs, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

We're having trouble with our wireless router here at work, so I went into setting to try to reconnect. I noticed a network in there called "Free Public WiFi" and connected that that. It was checked, but the phone was still showing Edge network on the homescreen.

I googled the term, thinking needed a password or something and found this artice:

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2006/09/free_public_wif.html

I'm not sure I understand all of this, only that it's not a real wireless access point. Does anyone have any more insight on this?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I've seen tons of these "Free Public Wifi" SSIDs as well, and they typically get me nowhere. I jsut ignore them when I see them now.

From what the article suggests, it looks like these spots are actually other peoples' laptops, clearly unsecured, pretending to be WiFi access points. What's causing that is unknown. The author seems to think it's a bug in XP. I wouldn't be surprised if it was some shady software at work.

Whatever it is, it's probably Windows-centric, and in any case I doubt it could do much harm to your iPhone. Even so, there's no point connecting to them because they don't give you an internet connection.

3. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

This error has been around in XP for a long time. Just remember ad hoc networks are generally there for file and print sharing. They can be used for internet sharing but rarely are. You also open yourself up to security theats joining ad hocs in 'good ole XP'. When viewing wireless networks try to discern which are access points (AP) or ad hoc.

4. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

When I go downtown to work, I get a ton of those and they never amount to any connection so I stick with Edge