Free Public wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by det2004, Apr 19, 2009.

1. det2004 macrumors 6502

While on a recent trip, my wife tried to connect to an unsecured wifi network named "free public wifi". I told her to cancel it quick since I had remembered reading something about viral ssid's named that. Does anyone know if this would affect a mac? I'm not even convinced that if fully connected, since it wasn't listed in her preferred networks pane, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

2. det2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

An SSID cannot broadcast your files, that's a load of crap.

The part about your computer broadcasting the name could be true though. Just make sure you are connecting to a "real" network, and not a computer-to-computer network. The AirPort menu shows computer-to-computer networks in a separate area.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I've seen networks like that before. And whenever I click on one, sadly the internet never works...

5. det2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

But if she did manage to connect, according to the article, the "free public wifi" network should appear in her preferred network panes, correct? And since I cannot find it in there, all should be well?

6. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

On OS X, yes.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You dont need to worry about this unless your using a Windows computer

Note the original writer of the article you linked to is using and talking only about Windows XP:

"This attack is essentially exploiting the way Windows handles ad-hoc peer-to-peer wireless networking"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Read the article fully next time before getting paranoid.

8. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Wonder which one was the original viral network? Seems pretty easy to make one too. Just go to a public place with no WiFi and create a network (with no sharing enabled) with the word free in it and another is started.

The only WiFi network have in my list is my own because my PB's WiFi sucks.

9. det2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

. I did see that in the article....I just fail to see what makes the way osx handles networks different enough from the way windows handles them to make osx immune to something like this. I just wondered if anyone else had ever tried to connect to one of these networks and if it could affect a Mac.

10. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I have (on my iBook before it died) and I have never seen it broadcasting a SSID from my PowerBook.