Free Push Calendar / Contacts Sync Through Google

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brian doherty, Jun 7, 2009.

1. brian doherty macrumors member

Here is my situation. I pay for web hosting and domain names through 1&1. I enjoy the huge amounts of space I get with my package, and the fact that I can actually use emails that have my own domain name on them (which, as far as I can tell, you cannot do with mobile me).

Because I'm using IMAP email, it's already syncing between all my computers / iPhone, but I wanted to keep my contacts and Calendars in sync as well.

Enter Google. I exported my iCal calendars, imported them into separate gCal calendars, and subscribed to them within iCal using Google's collaboration set up tool. http://code.google.com/p/calaboration/

Than I set up Google Sync (google sync)with my iPhone using exchange accounts, telling it to sync calendars / contacts. Now when I add / modify / delete an event on iCal, gCal, or my iPhone, everything automatically updates, usually within about 15 seconds. It's fast, free, and pretty cool.

My apologies if this is common knowledge to everyone, I just noticed I could do this, and will probably be canceling my Mobile Me trial early because I have no use for it anymore.

2. Pared macrumors 65816

Thanks. I did not know you could do this either.

Very interesting given Palm's much publicized Google Sync feature.

3. ebika macrumors 6502

This is a great feature, but the primary drawback right now is that the 2.2.1 firmware can only do one Exchange ActiveSync account at a time. This isn't a big deal for people that only need one, of course. I only mention this drawback since 3.0 will apparently allow multiple Exchange ActiveSync accounts.

4. digbyp macrumors regular

I am running v3.0 beta 5 and just read this. So I tried to add a 2nd Exchange Account and was told that you can only have 1. Perhaps in final release?

5. ebika macrumors 6502

Thanks for testing that out. Seems unlikely it will change before final. :(

6. digbyp macrumors regular

Can confirm with last nights download, nothing has changed and still only allows one Exchange connection