Free Quickbooks for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djsound, Jan 25, 2010.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

I was going to try out the free Quickbooks for my new small business since I have under 20 clients but it seems they do not have a Mac version. Anyone know of something similar?

2. Tharian macrumors regular

They do have quickbooks for Mac. However, I would not recommend it as they (to my knowledge) only have single user licenses and not multi-user one.

Look at Accountedge or Firstedge (if you don't need payroll) by MYOB. They're both highly recommended.

-d

3. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Thanks I am going to try the trial for Firstedge since my business is very small. I like the look of it . It seems more mac' style :)

4. Tharian macrumors regular

If you are close to an Apple store I would highly recommend setting up a Business Consultation with the Partner there. They'd be able to give you more specific advice on solutions.

-d

5. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Ya I am not to close to one and it is only a very small business. I am a personal trainer...probably only about 7 clients at any certain time... =)

6. Mugwumper macrumors regular

Dumb question . . . ;^)

What functionality do you need? Just keeping track of billing your clients, and
    managing checking account(s) and credit card(s)? Do you need to issue
    checks? And you're the only user, right? So you don't need a multi-use
    license.

To me, QB is fine for all that. Granted, a tad expensive . . . ;^)

7. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Yes VERY basic....just have to keep track of clients invoices etc. I do not need to issue checks or anything. The company is just me...veryyy basic. I tried Firstedge and even that is a bit complicated for me as I have never done this kind of thing. (keeping track of my own bills, sending invoices etc.)

8. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

They do have a Quickbooks Online Edition free version that works with Safari on Mac. It's been in open beta for a while - I've used it for about 6 months now - but it works fine. The only thing that I've really noticed vs the paid version (which I also use but for a different business) is that the free version won't let you add in bills to pay later. Other than that, they seem comparable.

9. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Truthfully I am not really sure what I need...I don't have any expenses. I thought maybe there would be something that keeps track of my GST (Tax in Canada)...receipts , invoices. All that junk hehe