Free RAM is less than 100mb in istat. Problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kettlecorn, Jul 28, 2011.

1. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

Simple question.. I have istat pro and its using about 800mb in wired, 1.6 gb in Active, 1.4 or something in Inactive and Free RAM is always around 23mb-125mb.

Does that mean I could benefit from more ram? The computer is pretty slow to do stuff at time. I have Chrome open 24/7 with at least 7-10 tabs with at least 2-4 videos at all times. Itunes and/or Grooveshark open for music, ichat open. These are always open 24/7.

And sometimes open up PDF, Word, Quicktime, Finder, Preview, etc.

I have 4gb ram and the core I5 MBP. More ram needed or is the inactive what I should be looking at? Thanks

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

How large is your swap file on your RAM readout? It sounds like you need more RAM though.

3. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

your inactive ram is essentially still free, an application just got done using it basically and its there if it needs it again quickly...but that is low in general.

4. kettlecorn thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm thanks. Im not sure what a swap file is but it looks like I could use an upgrade to 6gb or 8gb from the sounds of it.

5. negativzero macrumors 6502

If you can afford it, go for a RAM upgrade. Otherwise, low free ram should not be worrying. You should only get worried, if your wired ram is about close to your physical ram. Or you're having lots of page-outs and swaps.

6. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Go with 8GB. It's pretty good when it comes to multitasking.

7. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I installed some new software, so I had to reboot, but yesterday I had over 2 million page ins and only 1,549 page outs. I thought that was pretty cool.

8. Babybandit macrumors regular

Definitely, Get 8GB of Ram. It's no longer exceeding expensive (Around 55ish~) at Amazon. I'd just upgrade irregardless.

There are two things I'd check though. Open Activity Monitor and check occasionally what's eating up most of your RAM. If it's Safari or some other essential program, definitely upgrade. If it's some Rogue Program caused by incompatibilities with Lion (Squeeze Comes into mind), stop it from running.

But Frankly, I think 8gigs of Ram is definitely worth the asking price. Especially considering Safari's demand for RAM (Especially with WebKit2).