Free Remote Desktop Client Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SnowTronic, Mar 27, 2011.

1. SnowTronic macrumors member

Hi, I am looking for some free remote desktop client software that I could use to watch a linux box and mac mini for a remote location, any suggestions?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I prefer using TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Assuming you're running 10.5 or later system software you already have what you need; it's called Screen Sharing and it lives in /System/Library/CoreServices.

Or you can invoke it by simply typing vnc://the-machine-to-view-IPAddress in Safari, or using the Connect to... item in the Finder. Or it's in iChat.

But, of course, you have to have the VNC servers running on the other end. There are tons of them; for the Mini just turn Screen Sharing on in System Preferences. Make sure you open a port in your firewall.

There are some other VNC clients that have other bells and whistles; Jolly's Fast VNC is pretty good but I don't think it's free.

Share Tool also works great with other Macs because it shares bonjour services over the internet securely, so you can just click on the sidebar in a Finder window to get to the Mini. Haven't tried that with a Linux box yet; Share Tool is essentially a frontend for SSH so it might work. Here's a link to a method to set up Linux screen sharing in Ubuntu that might get you started:

http://www.zaphu.com/2008/04/29/ubuntu-guide-configure-vinagre-to-share-the-screen-with-mac-os-x/

Rob