free ringtones with 7.4.1 using premissions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SAMTATSICPRO, Sep 11, 2007.

1. SAMTATSICPRO macrumors regular

so basically, I figured out a way without using any programs or scripts.
    I updated my iTunes tonite and it seemed like when I wanted to add the files by double clicking on the file while it wasa on the Ringtones folder, it would get rid of the file and put it back on the root of the iTunes library.

Here's how I fixed that.
    Basically itunes runs a script to put all the new files that were not purchased on the Itunes library instead of leaving them on the Ringtone folder which is inside your Itunes Library.

Here are the steps

step 1: Open itunes, then select a song or piece of song you want to use.
    I used audio hi jack and used about a 30 second recording and set it up to automatically format it to ACC format.

Stept 2: Once you have selected the song, Go ahead and right click and Select ( Convert to ACC )

Step 3: when the file is done Converting to ACC it will appear on you library, then you will have to right click on it again and Select ( show in Finder)

Once you have the file go ahead and right click on it, then go to get info and change the extension m2a to m2r. --------- > then press enter and you will have a warning pop up then --- select use .m2r

---- your file is ready to be put in the Ringtones folder, if you don't have a Ringtone folder, Go ahead and make a folder in your iTunes Library by going to username/music/iTunes/iTunes Music ( name it "Ringtones"

Once you have the Ringtone Folder go Ahead and right click on that folder and get info -- then look for ownership and permissions then select read only then drag your ringtone file with the extension being m2r to the Ringtones folder. you will have to authenticate , meaning you will need to type in your password to drag in the ringtone file into your Ringtones folder. Once thats done make sure iTunes opens or puts your rintone file on the library.

Now that your file got recognized by itunes, go ahead and quit iTunes.

Then, go to your Ringtones Folder then Right click on the folder to Change back the permission to read and write. once that is Done you will need to Right Click on the ringtonefile and go to Get Info , and change the extension back to .m2a --- once that is done go back to the Ringtone Folder premissions and change the permission to Read only, then open up itunes and the ringtone should show up under Ringtones when you look inside the tab under your iPhone and on the left right next to the bell symbol.

Now all you gotta to is check √ it under your Iphone and sync it up.

Let me know if it works for you. Ill try to post up a video of it.
    my first time showing this, so sorry If i Confused you.

2. racemize macrumors member

I think someone has already posted this, and you are correct, except you don't have to change permissions...

3. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

interesting, but you could also just download itoner and drag and drop. Or even create a playlist in itunes of the ringtones you want to sync.

I think I'll take that option.

4. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

Its really not so complicated.

the steps are:

1. convert to aac
    2. change file extension to .m4r
    3. drag into new ringtones library
    4. rename file back to .m4a
    5. double click ringtone in "ringtones library"- it will tell you not found- simply show it the file you just renamed

they now work