Free services from Apple

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Michael73, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

Because of numerous issues with my current MP, Apple is replacing my machine with a new MP.

Is it resonable to expect that as part of the machine replacement that I get data transfer services? AppleCare suggested that this isn't covered and that I'd have to pay $100 for the service or pay for ProCare.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd say it's not reasonable: they are doing everything they can be expected to do by providing a new machine.

Surely it's not that much of an issue: you have backups of all the data. Right?

3. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

didn't you take a copy of the hard drive (carbon copy maker or what ever it's called) before you sent it off? Then you can restore in a snap

4. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

Here's the thing...the new machine is being shipped to my local Apple store to facilitate the return of my current machine.

The idea is that rather than arranging for the return of my current machine on my own and have this MP sitting on my front porch step waiting for DHL to come pick it up (especially this time of year - it's 6 degrees farenheit out now) that it would be easier for me to make the swap at the store. Furthermore, if I do the exchange at the store, Apple doesn't have to hold on to my credit card # in the event I don't consumate the return (not that I would anyway - the thing is broken, duh!)

Anyway, as for backups, one of my 500GB internal drives in my current machine is a TM drive so I could do a restore from it. The problem is that if I have to bring my current MP to the store and leave with the new one, it creates a problem unless I can take the TM drive out of the old MP throw it into a drive bay in the new machine, go home and do a restore.

Also, anyone know how to completely and securely erase all my stuff from the drive I have to send back to Apple with my old machine?

5. kdb31 macrumors member

I think its reasonable considering you wouldn't have needed the data transfer if your MP had worked like it should have. Although they might not feel its part of their official obligation to you maybe you can explain your situation to the store genius and see if he/she could take care of it? They've done it for me before so I wouldn't say its out of the question.

6. kdb31 macrumors member

In the disk utility you can select format drive and then theres a secure erase function that allows you to zero out the data with either 1, X, or 35 passes). Sorry I haven't had a mac in about a year now so the details are a bit fuzzy, but I do know the option is there.

7. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

My 2.8 Harpertown crapped the bed 13 days in. I went to the Genius Bar to try and get it fixed, nothing could get solved, they offered me a new MacPro since I was within the 15 days. They then asked me if I needed any data transfered, free of charge. I did not have anything on the machine to get transfered. So yes, they should be able to do it for free, well, at least the one in my area offered to. :D

And on a side note, AppleCare does not Care. lol The Genius Bar is a million times better than the stupid phone support. I will never be calling phone support again, those script reading people! lol