free software to add date in toolbar

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrdinh, Jul 2, 2008.

1. mrdinh macrumors regular

2. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

May be slightly overkill, but iStat Menus has an option to display the date and time in the toolbar. And if you want it to, it can display a ton of other things as well-temperature, fan speeds, RAM usage, etc. But I use it primarily to display the time and an iCal-like icon with the date.

http://www.islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=28

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

In the MenuBar, if you click on the "Time", it will show the date.

I'm not sure why you would want to add additional software to display the date, and time, as this will take up valuable real estate on the MenuBar.

You can configure Date & Time to show the Day of the week and Time (hh.mm.ss) in the MenuBar. If you need the date, just click on it.

4. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

Actually, since using iStat Menus I turned off the OS Date and Time display and it takes up less room.

Attached Files:

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no need for additional software, as the link I posted shows. It's a matter of convenience. I don't want to stop composing a letter or email, to go click to remind me what date it is. As for "valuable real estate", the date doesn't take up that much space and there's plenty of unused menu bar space left.

Attached Files:

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I like iStat Menus because I can configure it to show me times in other countries. (And I use the other features of iStat to monitor my system resources.)

Attached Files:

7. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

the tutorial in the first link doesn't work for me. in system preferences in the box next to 'customise', its shows that the date has been added to the time, but it doesn't show in the menubar.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you select Medium format? This is also the Time format, which now includes the Date.

Attached Files:

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Here is mine:
    [​IMG]

However my screen saver now says the day "Wednsday" instead of the time. Anyway too fix this?

10. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Works nicely in Tiger, thanks for that!

My menubar now goes Thu 03/07/08 00:54:10 - thats the UK format date by the way in case anybody tells me my month and day are the wrong way round.

Incredibly useful. I'll be doing this to my MacBook too. Having the date at a glance on the menubar is something I've missed since I stopped using my StarBook with the time/date in the Task Bar.

11. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

changing to the medium format still makes no difference for me :(

12. cazlar macrumors 6502

Not free, but MenuCalendarClock gives you a date/clock with a pulldown calendar that can show your iCal appointments and todos.

That being said, I use iStat menus as it is free and does everything MCC does except the iCal stuff, as well as all the network/CPU/etc stuff it does too.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I love the format I was able to make for my menu bar:
    [​IMG]

BUT.... It has time on my screen saver time display messed up, also the date format on iTunes is all screwed up.

[​IMG]

Looks like I will have to go back to the original format. I'm now with the OP looking for a software solution since format hacking cases more problems than it cures.

14. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i tried messing around with it all, but to no avail.

i know seem to have BST next to the time, with not way of removing it. any help?

EDIT: ok, nevermind, i fixed it.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

First: I found a way to get my iTunes format back while keeping the custom date-time format I created.

Second: I found a program that allows you to fully customize the date-time format (installs in System Preferences) plus has lots of iStat monitoring. This program is a great little Menu Bar customizer.

Here is a pic.

[​IMG]