Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Minsk59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2019
Hello, I want to recover a file deleted from trash. I downloaded the rial version of Easus which found the file but then asked me to 'upgrade' to actually recover the file (103€).

Is there a free program which will actually restore the file (not just find it) or a program cheaper than Easus?

Thanks in advance.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I don't know, sorry.

For what it's worth, 103€ would buy a decent external HDD you could use for Time Machine and then not wore about accidentally deleting stuff. Not trying to rub salt into the wound or anything like that, but sometimes we don't know that we need a backup strategy until we need a backup strategy.

Good luck! Sorry I don't have more relevant info.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
For what it's worth, 103€ would buy a decent external HDD you could use for Time Machine and then not wore about accidentally deleting stuff. Not trying to rub salt into the wound or anything like that, but sometimes we don't know that we need a backup strategy until we need a backup strategy.

Absolutely right. You may have left it too late if you've been using your Mac for a while after deleting the file. There is no substitute for having a basic backup, and it's super-easy to do with TimeMachine and a fairly cheap external drive.

I've not used this product...

https://macosxfilerecovery.com

...so can't vouch for it in any way, but it sounds like it might be of some use to you.

Good luck!

Reactions: mikecwest

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Depending on how large the file is, Wondershare RecoverIt might work. But the trial version is limited to 100MB recovery. The paid version works well, but it is an annual subscription. I think you will find this to be the case with most "free" data recovery software. It is only a trial/demo version that allows for little to no data recovery.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I don't know, sorry.

Good luck! Sorry I don't have more relevant info.

Ha, I use time machine. I know CCC is a good choice as well. Last week my Time Machine backup got corrupted. (I believe due to a faulty USB-C cable.)

So you need a multifaceted backup system as well. It is also advisable to have a second backup in a separate location. (example, you have you laptop bag in your trunk, with your TM and CCC backups in the bag. OOOPS someone stole your Ford Pinto, along with your laptop bag.)

I Purchased DiskWarrior, and it fixed the drive...Now I am hoping it is updated quickly for Catalina.

Reactions: Howard2k

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Ha, I use time machine. I know CCC is a good choice as well. Last week my Time Machine backup got corrupted. (I believe due to a faulty USB-C cable.)

So you need a multifaceted backup system as well. It is also advisable to have a second backup in a separate location. (example, you have you laptop bag in your trunk, with your TM and CCC backups in the bag. OOOPS someone stole your Ford Pinto, along with your laptop bag.)

I Purchased DiskWarrior, and it fixed the drive...Now I am hoping it is updated quickly for Catalina.

For sure. I use multiple Time Machine volumes just in case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.