free software to recover mov files on memory card

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lisamel, Nov 23, 2008.

1. lisamel macrumors regular

lisamel

Hi!
    I was recently on a trip to the US and i had a new video camera with me. I used a SDHD memory card. Suddenly the card needs to be reformatted and I cant use it if I dont. I havent done anything to the memory card yet as I was hoping I could find something to recover all the video clips. Ive tried the demo of a program called Stellar and it did find all the files. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a free program that will do the same? I have had a look around but cant seem to find anything free :)

Thank you for your help!!

2. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

If you have Windows installed, you can download several free utilities for Windows. On the Mac side of things, though, you're out of luck. If you don't have Windows, your best bets would be either FileSalvage or PhotoRescue. The former costs $90, while the latter will only cost you $29. But ask yourself this question: how much are the videos worth to you? Nothing? Then, by all means, go the Windows route. If they are worth a lot to you, personally, though, please buy either of the utilities.

I can personally vouch for FileSalvage having saved my entire photo collection once. It was the easiest software purchase I've ever ever made. Decision-wise, that is. I just needed recovery software badly. It found every single photo and was able to restore everything.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There is a freeware Windows program called SmartRecovery by Convar, I've had good success with that.

4. lisamel thread starter macrumors regular

lisamel

Okay, thanks for your replies! Is the PhotoRescue good? I have MusicRescue but it might not be the same thing?
    I downloaded the Stellar demo so I could check if it would find all the files and it looked like it did. Does either of the programs you suggested to that?
    I really do want the video clips so paying a fee is no problem. I just wanted to check if there was any fee alternative :)

Thanks again

5. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Personally, I can't vouch for PhotoRescue, as I haven't used it. But as it's designed to... erm... rescue photos, it should work. Maybe do a search for reviews. You can get a lot of info from them.

6. lisamel thread starter macrumors regular

lisamel

PhotoRescue didnt find as many files as Stellar, so I bought the Stellar software and tried to rescue my mov files. I got the files, but it files only come up as photos, not as video clips. And now I think Stellar automatically deleted the files for good, because I tried to run the program again, and it wont find any files :(

I'm guessing my files are lost forever now?