free space discrepancy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by schonhelm, May 18, 2015.

1. schonhelm macrumors newbie

Itunes after sync says I have 10.60 gigs free space on phone 5s. If I go on iphone under usage, the phone says 9.9 gigs. Its a 16 gig total phone. Why is there a discrepancy between the 2 amounts. I do not have any music on the phone.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

2. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I had a similar situation with my iPhone 5s - only the discrepancy was much greater.
    Wound up having to make a Genius appointment. They ran a bunch of tests and determined it wasn't hardware related, and told me I had to restore from a backup. Fortunately, I had backed up my iPhone just before this issue arose, so it was minimally inconvenient.
    I'm generally pretty savvy with these sorts of things, and had tried every self-help thing I could think of before visiting the Apple Store. But this was what solved the problem.

3. schonhelm thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have seen several post about this memory difference before and it was not a big deal. It is just that the two methods count the memory differently and there is nothing wrong with your phone. Surely not worth restoring.

5. schonhelm thread starter macrumors newbie

which is the proper amount of free space ? what the phone says or is it what itunes says ?
    Thanks for your reply not sure if i want to restore

6. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

That's probably the case if the disparity is minimal.
    In my case, it was huge- on the order of 10+ Gigs.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It is dynamic and they change all the time. Just rebooting your phone will change it. The difference is small,and nothing to be concerned about.