Free Space Fragmented

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tunasushi, Oct 13, 2012.

1. tunasushi macrumors newbie

The free space on my hard drive is 90% fragmented, any ideas on how to fix it? The main problem with this is that I can't create a Windows partition so I can dual-boot it. Also, if there is any way to use iDefrag from Recovery HD or a usb drive, that would also work!

2. drambuie macrumors 6502a

The easiest way would be to use a defrag utility that can also consolidate free space.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"The free space on my hard drive is 90% fragmented, any ideas on how to fix it? The main problem with this is that I can't create a Windows partition so I can dual-boot it. Also, if there is any way to use iDefrag from Recovery HD or a usb drive, that would also work?"

In order to properly defrag a drive, you have to boot from another drive (different boot drive). It's the old story of a brain surgeon trying to operate on himself....
    (Note, I believe the latest version of iDefrag may actually be able to do a complete defrag while booted from the same volume, have not tried it or had access to the app).

I -do not- believe you can boot from the recovery partition and do a defrag. Although this should be "theoretically possible", Apple seems to have limited what can be done while booting from the recovery partition.

Do you have a bootable backup drive? If not, it would be a good time to consider one. You can put one together for less than $100, far less if you can find an unused SATA drive lying around.

I'd suggest spending about $20-25 for one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0
    (many items shown, they all work the same, just pick one you like that's cheap)

Put a "bare" SATA drive in it, initialize the drive, then use the free version of CarbonCopyCloner to clone the contents of your internal drive to the docked drive (it WILL take a while to copy everything over).

You'll then have a bootable backup, and be reasonably protected against internal hard drive failure. Good idea to be backed up before you defrag, in any case.

At this point you can boot from the backup drive and use something like iDefrag or Drive Genius to do the defrag job.

ANOTHER WAY TO DO IT:
    Get the USB dock and do a backup, as above, and then:
    1. Boot from the backup
    2. Use Disk Utility to reinitialize the internal drive (yes, you read that right)
    3. Use CCC to "re-clone" your backup -back to- the internal drive
    The files will all be copied "contiguously", and when done all fragmentation will be removed.