Free space is zero now

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SDAVE, Mar 16, 2010.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I have a JB'd 3GS 32GB (via Blackra1n) and it's been perfect for a while now.

All of a sudden yesterday I added a few tracks and this morning I get a message that there is no space available.

There was 9GB of free space available the day before today. I went into the "about" area and it says 0 bytes available?

Any way to restore back my space? I don't really want to re-jail break it, it's too customized.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I play the piano.
    Doctor: So don't play the piano.

iTunes will tell you what is using your space so just remove some of the offending items.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

4. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

5. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

I don't think that would of mattered in this case. It wasn't like it was far down the list, the poster obviously did not do any sort of search before posting his question.

6. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

7. irthy macrumors member

ran into this issue today. Ended up deleting the log file and Rock. But now my phone wont sync to itunes. Wonder if there is some kind of relation.

8. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Hopefully this fixed my problem. I started deleting so much stuff from my phone...

9. Turbohog macrumors member

Ithy, I think we might have the same problem. Does iTunes want to sync a backup or something for you?
    Edit: It doesn't ask me that now. Now it acts like it's syncing and then quits after a couple of minutes and nothing is really synced. :(

10. irthy macrumors member

Turbohog: here's what i posted in it's own thread but haven't had any advice.

this may help you but i'm a little unclear and was wondering if there was an easier solution

My phone has stop syncing to my itunes and this is the message i get when i connect to my computer.

"iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone "iPhone". Go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings"

I've been wanting to re-JB but I'm on a 3GS with new boot rom 3.1.2 which seems like it's not possible yet on the 3.1.3.

Here is what i found searching but didn't understand how deleting my music effects this. Maybe the databass file but why the music. What about apps and winterboard stuff pics etc. Why just music and ringtones???

I also deleted the Rock log file that can get ridiculously big and then un installed rock. The problem happened after i did this. Do they have a relation???

This assumes that your phone is already jailbroken (I wonder if anyone who has a non-jailbroken phone ever experiences this problem?).

1) On a Mac using Cyberduck or a PC using WinSCP, view the files on your iPhone (google SSH Cyberduck iPhone if you need help with this step)

2) Navigate to /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/
    and delete the file iTunesDB

At this point, iTunes will no longer give you the error message BUT, your music, ringtones, podcasts will still be taking up space on your iPhone but your iPhone won't try to read them and iTunes won't see them. The solution is the next step.

3) In Cyberduck (or WinSCP) navigate to /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music and delete all of the folders in the Music directory

4) Go back one level to /private/var/mobile/Media and go to the Ringtones directory and delete them too.

5) Close iTunes and open it again, allow your iPhone to sync again. It should copy all your music, podcasts, and videos back to your phone, though depending on how much you have, it could take a while.

6) If you have Ringtones in your iTunes and they're not going back on your phone after all of this, plug your phone in and select the iPhone in Devices in iTunes and click the Ringtones tab. Deselect 'sync ringtones' and it will display a message warning you that all ringtones will be removed from you phone. Accept that and click 'apply'. After the phone has finished syncing, select 'Sync Ringtones' again and click apply. Allow it to sync. That successfully put the ringtones back on my phone.

I did this on March 6th 2010 on a Jailbroken 3G 16 gig running the 3.1.2 OS and it worked fine. Good luck with your own phones, I hope this works for you and I summarized the instructions clearly enough.

11. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Im not exactly sure what I did, but something fixed it. The free space was there after a few syncs, then it magically disappeared.

12. allmanbrother macrumors member

I have this problem, but I have never used or even installed Rock....