Free space on the hard drive or too many backups

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by dragonev, Aug 13, 2011.

1. dragonev macrumors member

I want to clean my hard drive, because I got only 68Gb left (oh dear - in 2000 it was a miracle)))
    I started with "About this Mac" Storage info. It states that nearly 24,7Gb is spent on "Other". What is this "Other"? I tried with CleanMyMac and DaisyDisc but it was worthless. Is it an actual size of the OS or what? I am quite familiar with the disk cleaning in Windows but not so with the Mac OS. As a freshman of the platform I ask for your help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Use Disk Inventory X or Grand Perspective to see how space is being used on your drive.

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

You don't need "cleaner" apps to keep your Mac running efficiently. Mac OS X does a good job of maintaining itself, without the need for 3rd party apps. Many have successfully used Monolingual to remove unwanted languages and architectures to free up drive space, but even that will not make your Mac run faster.

Be aware that extreme caution should be exercised when using such apps, as deleting certain languages or architectures can create significant problems. At best, deleting these things may buy you 1-2GB of drive space, but will not improve your system's performance. If you're not certain about what you're doing, don't delete anything. The small drive space savings are not worth the risk of potential problems.

3. dragonev thread starter macrumors member

thank you for your response. I will try to follow your recommendations. CleanMyMac was good it terms of deleting some chinese and other languages.