Free speed test for Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMister111, Jul 20, 2011.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Hi

I'm after a free speed test for my iMac before I do the upgrade to Lion. My iMac is an older one, the first Alu one, 2007, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, I've upgraded to 4Gb RAM, with Snow Leopard though.

Is one available for a test before I upgrade to Lion for comparison? I'm worried that my iMac is getting long in the tooth for these newer OS releases.

Also am I right in thinking Lion is full 64bit now, so will maybe be "better" for my Core 2 Duo anyway?

cheers

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Not sure what speed you're looking to test, but i imagine you mean "benchmarking" software. You might try searching that. I have the White 24" iMac Core 2 Duo at 2.whatever GHz, and lion is running really well on it...I did do a clean install on it however. Also are you sure that you are getting use of all 4 GB of RAM. I thought the first gen Aluminum iMacs were still limited to 3 GB by the board...maybe i'm mistaken. Anyway, Definitely look for benchmarking software / freeware for os X (mac) on google. You are bound to find some results.

Hope it helps,