Free SSD space running low ... barely anything installed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bushido, Apr 16, 2014.

1. bushido Suspended

bushido

soooo I used to have over 55 GB free on my rMBP with barely anything installed but now my mac says 67 GB of "Apps" which doesnt make any sense at all as shown in those screenshots below:

[​IMG]

Application Folder:

[​IMG]

Mobile Applications (iTunes):
    [​IMG]

It shouldnt be more than 20 GB of "Apps" ...

any ideas? is there a program of some sort that tells me exactly how much is taken up by which files?

2. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I personally like to use DaisyDisk. It breaks down how much space you are using very nicely.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That graphic gets its data from the Spotlight index and if the index is corrupt it will show incorrect readings. Yours is definitely off because there is always something in the yellow "Other" section on the far right.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /
    Run this command in Terminal to reindex Spotlight and you should see correct readings there after the reindex is completed.

4. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

first of all thank you both!

the indexing really seemed corrupt and your command for the terminal fixed that :D I also found the "culprit" hogging my available space. I had to install some Android Plugins for the Eclipse Java environment last week which I forgot about and it was like 30 GB :eek: i deleted it and I am back to 54 GB :)

its part of my OCDs lol i hate for it to drop below 50 GB for some reason