Free stabillity testing programs for OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by terramir, Apr 21, 2009.

1. terramir macrumors newbie

Okies it's a toss-up if I should post this in hardware or software, but here's the deal I need a program that will stress the processor and memory to the max for hours. To make sure that this thing is eMac is rock solid. Something graphics intensive that stresses both processor and memory would be good
    terramir
    PS: The background of why is below:
    I found a 800 mhz (second gen 7500 radeon SD-ram USB 1.1) eMac in the trash and well I decided to OC it (only 1.066 Ghz because I f'ed up a pad soldering :( ), then I saw a 1.25Ghz (3rd generation radeon 9200 with ddr and usb 2.0) logic board with capacitor plague on eBay for 20 bucks plus 12 bucks for shipping. Well this guy didn't trust himself to solder his loss my gain. Now that I replaced the caps and dropped it in. I want to make sure it's rock solid before I even attempt to oc this board. A 1.5 to 1.7ghz g4 is possible in my future :D (for very little money) Dun worry about my poor 2nd generation logic board though it's gonna be run headless in a carry away computer (ghetto laptop LOL):p

2. TheScavenger macrumors regular

I don't have anything constructive to add...

wow sounds like fun!

3. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Run iTunes and turn on the visualizer full screen, loop the music forever.

Set the energy saver settings to not go to sleep.

4. TheScavenger macrumors regular

I am guessing you're looking for the OS X version of something like Prime 95 or Orthos. You can try looping Cinebench over and over.

5. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

6. terramir thread starter macrumors newbie

problem is that one is not free cputest is the only one that hits the cpu to the bone
    system load the other suggestion barely cracks 40% usage in leopard :(
    but the problem with cpu test is that it dun give a crap about completly stressing the memory
    terramir

7. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

My recommendation is to test CPU and RAM separately.

First, test your CPU using CPUTest

Then, once you've done that, test your RAM using Rember. (It's got memtest inside the app bundle, so you should probably boot into single user mode and run memtest directly from the CLI to ensure that the maximum amount of memory gets tested.)

8. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

You can always run Apple Hardware test, looped.........

Pop in the system restore CD that originally came with the computer (if you have it) and hold down the D key while starting up (yes, the d key, NOT the c key)

Once the Hardware Test screen comes up you can hit the "L" key to enable looping. Then stick it on extended testing and let it run overnight. (I've heard that in some versions you might have to use "control+L" or something to enable looping.

EDIT: If you don't have the CD, you can download a disk image for your eMac from here http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

9. terramir thread starter macrumors newbie

ehh that disk dun work on the 3gen e-mac (which is the board on my emac, however my ghetto top board (when I'm done wityh it) will be tested with that link
    Waiting for the 3rd gen restore disks :) apple rocks not even charging me:apple::D
    thanks for the looping advice
    terramir