Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
cycocelica said:
You're surely the minority with that opinion.
Nope. I don't care for Starbucks at all and even the idea of a free drink won't tempt me go for one (especially since those in my area who frequent starbucks aren't the greatest-seeming people, and I knew people who worked at all the local ones and they all have rat infestations). Lovely.

I'd rather my Peet's. :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
cycocelica said:
You're surely the minority with that opinion.

Not here I'm not. I worked for the mongrels in Canada and if you think they make good coffee then you surely haven't had good real coffee. Espresso, small cups, creamily foamed milk. Coffee from Italian coffee houses like Lavazza and Illy.

Starbucks is awful. Brewed/percolated coffee is awful.

lanray

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
Responsible Consumers

Starbucks is rough on folks for 2 reasons (maybe more):
-they're resistant to moving toward fair trade coffees
-they're business practices make it tough for local businesses

The way I see it is this: I'd rather buy fairly traded coffee from a local shop, supporting local business as well as knowing with some degree of certainty that the farmer that grew my coffee bean isn't akin to slave labor. I encourage everyone else to do the same. Your $$ can speak just as loud as words.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
yankeefan24 said:
Too many starbuck's in NYC. I know where there are two SEPERATE Starbuck's right NEXT to each other :eek: (one's in a barnes in noble, but…)

there are 3 at astor place. including the barnes and noble one. can see them all from the same corner.

Orlando Furioso

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Bezerkeley
devilot said:
Nope. I don't care for Starbucks at all and even the idea of a free drink won't tempt me go for one (especially since those in my area who frequent starbucks aren't the greatest-seeming people, and I knew people who worked at all the local ones and they all have rat infestations). Lovely.

I'd rather my Peet's. :D

Peet's is lovely. I live right above one =). I can probably take a picture of Starbucks from my bedroom window too (though I don't think that is a good thing).

The coffee at Peet's is wickedly strong and addicting. 8-12oz, and I'm good for a week. Though it is not the coffee, the pristine environment, or cool clientele that keep me going back. Instead, it is their yummy pastries that really hooked me (at least early on). Now, I'm just a sad creature of habit. :eek: But I'm OK with that.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk

Attachments

• starbuck.gif
    starbuck.gif
    29.1 KB · Views: 80

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Cool,

We are expected to get 6 inches of snow, and I have a starbucks near my house.. Perhaps I shall have to drive over and get a cup of coffee and a bite to eat :) .

Otherwise, I am Anti Starbucks as they tend to move into towns with nice little coffee shops and push them out. I view them as the Walmart of Coffee shops most days :( .

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Last night/Very early this morning I went to Starbucks to study and asked if they were doing the special free coffee that day. Well the answer was yes and the guy offered me a free mini bag of coffee.

Oh, I got my free drink. Still have not finished it.

SharksFan22

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Bay Area, CA
840quadra said:
Otherwise, I am Anti Starbucks as they tend to move into towns with nice little coffee shops and push them out. I view them as the Walmart of Coffee shops most days :( .

You're exactly right. Unfortunately, I live only about 1/2 a block from Starbuck's and am guilty of going there way too often. Their coffee is mediocre at best but it's convenient.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Chundles said:
Not here I'm not. I worked for the mongrels in Canada and if you think they make good coffee then you surely haven't had good real coffee. Espresso, small cups, creamily foamed milk. Coffee from Italian coffee houses like Lavazza and Illy.

Starbucks is awful. Brewed/percolated coffee is awful.

I hate coffee but I can see where you are coming from. I just live outside of Seattle (where Starbucks was started) and EVERYONE here drinks coffee. Many of my friends really enjoy it but judging by there hot chocolate, a coffee house's (like you suggested) hot chocolate is much better.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
cycocelica said:
there are 4 within one shopping center here. The shopping center can be walked in under 3 minutes.

Heh. Yeah, the main mall in downtown Portland has three Starbucks. Two of them are quite literally on top of each other. One on the second floor, one on the fourth. They could drill a hole through the third-floor (non-Starbucks) store and pass stuff to each other. Plus a few non-Starbucks coffee places, of course.

On another corner in downtown Portland there are three coffee shops (one a Starbucks) on three of the four corners at an intersection. The fourth block has a coffee shop in the building, rather than on the corner. What, you can't cross the frickin' street to get your coffee?!

(Then again, when I worked for Intel, which had a Starbucks 'kiosk' in the cafeteria, the coffee lady knew me so well that she'd have my Mocha just finished and waiting for me when I showed up at 10:00 AM every day. Damn, I could have doubled as an atomic clock.)

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
ehurtley said:
Heh. Yeah, the main mall in downtown Portland has three Starbucks. Two of them are quite literally on top of each other. One on the second floor, one on the fourth. They could drill a hole through the third-floor (non-Starbucks) store and pass stuff to each other. Plus a few non-Starbucks coffee places, of course.

On another corner in downtown Portland there are three coffee shops (one a Starbucks) on three of the four corners at an intersection. The fourth block has a coffee shop in the building, rather than on the corner. What, you can't cross the frickin' street to get your coffee?!

(Then again, when I worked for Intel, which had a Starbucks 'kiosk' in the cafeteria, the coffee lady knew me so well that she'd have my Mocha just finished and waiting for me when I showed up at 10:00 AM every day. Damn, I could have doubled as an atomic clock.)
We are the Northwest. We can't live without our coffee or the rain. :p

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
Abstract said:
I need to drive for 1 1/2 hours to get to a Starbucks. :cool:
i need to walk for about 1 1/2 minutes. but i gave up coffe for lent, along with soda.. sigh

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
dotdotdot said:
Whoever said "no starbucks near me," you have no idea how rarely I see that.

278 miles to the closest starbucks. if i drive straight there, which i won't because i will be driving and drinking my Peets coffee which i get mail order, so i'll need to get off the two lane and find a bathroom. or tree. or non-electric fence post :eek: . thinks i'll stay home and skip the free cup. :p

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
You guys that said you have a lot of Starbucks, we have waaaay to many in Vancouver. I can think of multiple intersections with them on more than one corner.

I have about 5 or 6 within walking distance of my house, and I don't walk far.

I remember last year they did a promotion where you could get a free frap so I went in got one, and was still thirsty after so I crossed the street and got another :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.